Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Thinking of Becoming a Listener

RavenousSoul August 1st, 2015

I'm thinking of becoming a listener on the site. I try to be a very active member of the community, I want to give back to the community, and I feel like I may be able to offer a unique perspective and bring certain skills to the table due to my experience and my field.

But... I have a few questions and concerns first.

1. How will becoming a listener affect my member account? I'm a very active member in the forums as it is, so I'm concerned on how all my activities will be affected. What I think I'm trying to ask, is do they "sync" after I become a listener, or are the accounts separate?

2. Will I still be able to chat with a listener if I need to?

3. Is it okay for me to become a listener even though I continue to struggle with my own demons?

4. Is there any kind of screening I can go through to determine whether or not the community would deem me ready to become a listener?

Any answers are appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this and help me!

EarlySun August 1st, 2015

@RavenousSoul

I'm a fairly new listener, but here is a little information about your questions:

1. Your member account and listener accounts are separate, so you may continue both paths separately.

2. You are always free to talk to a listener. You just sign on with your member account and then connect with a listener.

3. We all struggle and often it is those very struggles that make us empathic listeners.

4. There is a Listener Training as well as ongoing training oportunities, and a Listener Quality program that helps ensure that Listeners that need help get feedback and support. You are very involved in the member community with a desire to give back. Seems like you would be a very welcome addition to the Listener community. The opportunities for involvement in the Listener community are many and varied.

I became a Listener because of the positive experience I had as a member, and I'm so glad I did.

Hope that helps!

RavenousSoul OP August 1st, 2015

Thank you so much, that was very helpful! I think I'll be creating a listener account very soon. :)

Miz75 August 1st, 2015

1) the account is seperate
2) you will, just log it onto your member account
3) it is, just whenever you need help or support, please log onto your member account and get that, self care first.
4) there is not, but you have to go through a training course to become a listener

Anomalia August 4th, 2015

@RavenousSoul - I think @EarlySun put it perfectly, and I have nothing to add, but I wanted to say that based on the questions you are asking and the fact that you wanted to make sure you understood everything before diving in will make you a tremendous listener. If you want any guidance as you begin your path as a listener, you can always reach out to one of our mentors, including myself, to talk through any questions you have, do mock chats or talk after tough chats, etc.

Take care, and I look forward to seeing you on the listener side! :)

niamh333 August 4th, 2015

@RavenousSoul I think you will make a great listener! Hope to see you about soon :)

coolcucumber3 August 5th, 2015

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Are you a listener now?? :)