Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you do when believing is hard?

AnnaTheArtist August 2nd

Like may of us on 7 Cups, I am a part of this community because I have anxiety and depression. It brings a hopelessness that can make it hard to believe in any kind of higher power. 

I try to remain positive! Usually what helps me to keep believing is remembering the past times that I knew something was true, that God was there, or that everything would be okay. 

What do you do to believe when it is difficult to do so? 

I'd love to hear more thoughts and suggestions on this!
💛

positivelyLuna333 August 2nd

@AnnaTheArtist I once heard a metaphor that life is a puzzle, and only God holds all the pieces, that only God knows how it all fits together. So, one thing I do when things get hard is trust so full heartedly and regardlessly. I don't know why God places certain puzzle pieces into my life, but I do know that He works everything out for good. He knows how the entire puzzle fits together. In this, when it gets hard I close my eyes, and simply trust with everything I have. Even when it doesn't make sense, I know I am not the puzzle maker, but I know who is.

God bless! :) 

AnnaTheArtist OP August 5th

@positivelyLuna333 Mmm, I love that, and I think it can help when we feel like we can't see the reason behind our lives, but we also can't see the puzzle yet!

soulsings August 3rd

@AnnaTheArtist    What do you do to believe when it is difficult to do so? 

What I do is ask myself what I can do to help someone else today. I remember the words in the Bible 

Luke 6:38 ESV   "Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

So even if I am unsure on higher powers I can still live an ethical life and benefit others to the extent I am able to. I feel better when I help others and maybe that is what the above verse is saying, that when I give to others I will receive happiness that is much more fulfilling than getting an ice cream. 

Many people live by the moral code of their religion and are happier by doing so. Doing what we know is right can help us have a clear conscience and a peaceful mind. With that I sometimes experience inner peace. That is a real treasure for me so I do not have to get tangled in the mental arguments of what to believe. I just try to live it.

@soulsings I really like this! I think your ability to live with the uncertainty I so admirable. 

Helgafy August 3rd

@AnnaTheArtist

Hi - I just want to give you this quote today:
Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in
green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou
anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell
in the house of the Lord for ever.

@Helgafy Thank you for sharing this!