Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

intro to my romantic relationships, i guess?

quirkkittenexplosion January 7th, 2023

Hi, I’m new and dramatic. You can call me Quirk.

This is my first thread in here, but I thought I should do an intro or something before I go ahead and start engaging with folks.

I’ve had quite a few relationships prior to my current situation, and I like talking about relationships. I think the ways that people can connect, whether it’s platonic or romantic or sexual whatever, is infinitely interesting. I may frequent this part of 7cups.

Anyway, my relationship challenges. That’s the prompt here, yes? I have a few. I’ll ramble.

My nesting partner and I have been together five(? sixish?) years. We act married, we feel married, we’ve given each other rings. But I don’t think we’d be considered engaged. Cool with us, we don’t really care. We started our polyam journey or whatever sometime around our second year of dating. I lived outside a the country for half a year and we “took a break”, and when I came back he suggested polyamory.

Due to how that came about, I sometimes have some anxiety about his desire to be in a polyam relationship. He has reassured me several times that it’s just the relationship style that makes sense for him. Anxiety brain still comes back to this though.

My nesting partner (let’s call him Bear) is the epitome of reserved. Some of this is, I think, personality. He doesn’t externally emote very often, and never for social norm reasons. He also doesn’t understand/recognize a lot of social norms. Which might be something else in the realm of mental health. Regardless this can put some stress on us both as I have Big Emotions™ and it’s difficult go to him for support with that. Bear doesn’t hug if I’m scared or anxious, doesn’t comfort in the ways I usually expect. He’s very calm and that helps when working through what I’m thinking, but… there’s a disconnect there that’s stressful.

I’m also seeing a man (let’s call him Bird). Bird is a completely different person, way more emotional, and more comfortable with queerness than Bear. It makes it easier to connect with him about that aspect of my life. The stress in this relationship being that our relationship is newer and I don’t want to make him feel like it is lesser. It’s not, just different. Again, this may be anxiety—he’s got his own nesting partner (the partner(s) you live with). So he probably understands what this is like. But we don’t see each other very often and it makes me worried that I’m not providing enough attention, care. But if I provide more, I’m worried that Bear will be negatively affective. It’s a stressful balancing act—but sometimes I feel like I’m the only one stressed about it.

Bear doesn’t have anyone else he’s seeing, though he’s close enough with his ex that they’ve ~had relations~ again. Sometimes she sleeps over. We’re all pretty close, but I’m not sexually attracted to her. Though I am. Attracted. So that’s a whole thing to untangle at some point.

Ugh. This has gotten long.

I’ll leave it here, I think. Yikes. Sorry I talk so much. And yeah. This is where I’m at and what I’m dealing with. We can chat about it if you want.

ouiCherie January 14th, 2023

@quirkkittenexplosion

Hi Quirk, thank you for sharing. I'm not quite familiar with polyamory, but from the sounds of it, it will need a strong trust and fairness between everyone involved.

If you are interested, you can support Relationship Support subcommunity. Below 2 roles to get started if this will be your first time:

Would you like to help the Relationship Subcom? Roles we currently need help on:

• Forum Supporter: This is best suited to those who want to support people having relationship issues, and enjoy writing posts whether new threads (tips/discussions/icebreakers/etc) or support replies.

• Room Supporter: This is best suited to those who want to support relationship issues and enjoy meeting people in a chat room whether for discussion/icebreakers/open chat.

Have a wonderful weekend!

quirkkittenexplosion OP January 16th, 2023

Hello! Thank you for these opportunities. I’m not sure I’m reliable/active enough to be what you’re looking for, but if I had to choose I’d say I’m more comfortable with the first than the second.

Stories2Tell January 15th, 2023

@quirkkittenexplosion

Thank you for being open and sharing. Did you think about or were curious about the polyamory before he Brough it up? How do you feel about it know? Sounds like you are fully experiencing it since you have both a nesting and an additional partner. Do the two ever get jealous? Do you?

Understand how polyamory can be both exciting and anxiety provoking. Think all must be very open trusting and communicate well. Would love to chat about your experiences and what you have learned. My wife and I have discussed opening our relationship but decided not to at least for now.

quirkkittenexplosion OP January 16th, 2023

@Stories2Tell, hello!

I have always felt polyamory made intrinsic sense, but I had bad experiences with it prior to meeting Bear. I think it was mostly negative because I was a teenager dating teenagers, and we weren’t quite mature or experienced enough to navigate properly.

Now, while still stressful at times (maybe inescapably so) I find polyamory to be… freeing? Maybe? More room for the different kinds of connections I can make with people, I think. I like that Bear and I are able to get our needs met, with each other and with others who support and have love for us. I find it kind of beautiful—almost in a Avatar, we’re all connected, stronger together kind of way.

I think we’ve all been jealous at some point. Sometimes we are better at communicating and working through those feelings than others, but, I mean, it’s an emotion. It happens. How you deal matters more than if you feel it, you know? Just gotta figure out where it’s coming from and what folks need and what folks can offer.

Communication is key! But communication is always key. Everyone had lots of relationships ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m totally down to talk about this stuff whenever. I’m glad you and your wife are talking through it. Always good to be on the same page :)

Stories2Tell January 17th, 2023

@quirkkittenexplosion

That's cool. Thank yo for continuing to share. Sounds like that you and Bear and very connected and have a stronger bond. You also mentioned that you are all connected. Does Bear interact and have connections with your other partners or is that more private between you and your partners? Do you have any rules or guidelines that you follow regarding how you interact, who you can see/partner with/how often you see them etc.

You are right on the jealousy everyone will have it from time to time - even if one isn't in a polygamous relationship, although in these cases I assume it can be more intense at times. This is something that my wife and I talked about. Talked about just doing things physically with others more like swinging, but my wife admitted that she probably couldn't do that without getting emotionally connected to the other person. Do you find that this is true for you too? Do you ever seek to get together with someone just for the physical connections/attraction or do you seek an emotional connection with you other partners as well?

Thanks for chatting/sharing.