Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Losing a childhood friend/crush

yellowSailboat5818 August 31st

I just need to let out and have someone to talk about it right now.

Last month (July), I recently lost a childhood friend over a confession. He confessed his feelings to me through *** invites, and I didn't answer, so he was under the assumption that I declined his confession. He lashed out and called me names. Because of that, I blocked him, but I eventually unblocked him and been checking his account a lot ever since.

Honestly, I still love him, even though I'm mad about how he treated me that time. I also feel like having a talk with him about it, but a lot of people advise me not to; I understand though, since he should be the one talking about it first and apologizing. I just can't get him out of my head, even if it's been a month.

By the way, before all of this happened. We were great friends in childhood and very close to eachother, talking to eachother a lot; until we got separated. We then got ourselves updated on eachother's lives through social media.

Delightfullover2085 September 2nd

I’m really sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot of conflicting emotions, and that must be incredibly tough. It’s natural to still have feelings for someone who was such an important part of your life. It’s also understandable that you’re feeling stuck between wanting to reconnect and needing to protect yourself from further hurt.

It might help to take some time for yourself and reflect on what you need right now. Sometimes, giving yourself a bit of distance can provide clarity on whether reaching out is the right move or if it might lead to more pain. It’s okay to take things at your own pace and to prioritize your own emotional well-being. What's important is taht u deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. If you need to talk more, I’m here for you.

tranquilShell4666 September 3rd

@yellowSailboat5818

Losing a friend after a love confession can be really tough.

**Acknowledge Your Feelings**: It's natural to feel hurt, confused, or even angry. Allow yourself to process these emotions.

**Give It Time**: Sometimes, space is needed for both parties to cool down and reflect. This might help in eventually mending the relationship.

**Communicate Openly**: If both you and your friend are open to it, having a calm and honest conversation can help clarify misunderstandings and express your feelings. 

**Respect Their Space**: If your friend needs distance, it's important to respect that. Pressuring them to talk might strain things further.

**Focus on Self-Care**: Engage in activities that bring you joy and help you heal. Surround yourself with supportive people.

**Learn and Grow**: Reflect on what you can learn from the situation and how you might handle similar situations differently in the future.

It's important to remember that relationships, both romantic and platonic, are complex and sometimes require time and understanding to navigate.

freshRabbit5716 September 18th

Hi @yellowSailboat5818,

Losing a friend can be really hard, especially when you were very close to them and knew them your whole life. It can be really frustrating and upsetting when a miscommunication turns into someone you love lashing out at you. Having to deal with still loving him but remembering what he did to you when he thought you rejected him is tough, I understand how you feel.

heartfulDuck September 30th

Hi, I can really understand how complicated and painful that must be for you right now. Losing a close friend, especially with unresolved feeling, is incredibly difficult. Even though his reaction hurt you, it is completely normal to still care about him because of how much he means to you.

I get that you want to have an open conversation with him, especially since this bond is so important to you. It is hard to just let go of something so meaningful. You have been feeling conflicted for a month now, and it is understandable that you want to fix things. But remember, when emotions are intense, it can be difficult to see things clearly. It is okay to give yourself some space to process everything. When you feel ready for a conversation, trust yourself, you know him well. And if you are still feeling unsure, it is perfectly okay to wait until you have more clarity. Trust that you will know when the time is right to talk things through.

strawberrycharm6 4 hours ago

I can see why this situation is so hard for you. Losing a close friend, especially one with whom you shared a lot of history, can be really painful. It’s normal to have mixed feelings, love and anger can coexist, and it’s tough when someone you care about reacts in a hurtful way.

It might be worth considering if reaching out to him could bring you closure or if it could potentially make things more complicated. Sometimes, taking a step back to focus on yourself and how you feel might help clarify what you really want. Have you thought about how you’d feel if he didn’t respond the way you hope? It’s okay to give yourself space to process everything