Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to make long distance relationships work?

RaniNightray February 8th, 2017

I honestly don't know what to do half the time with certain people who I date or talk to that are long distance and I don't want to come off clingy.

PellaWeismanLMFT February 9th, 2017

@RaniNightray, long distance can be hard, especially if you are starting out that way. One thing that some people find helpful is turning on Skype/FaceTime/Google Chat and getting to see each other's faces while you talk. You can also do activities together online, like cooking the same dish at the same time. Some people find that it just makes them too anxious and decide not to date long distance. Hope that's helpful!

PoisonCupcakes February 10th, 2017

@RaniNightray

My girlfriend and I aren't exactly long distance but her parents are strict so we don't see each other often. We ARE clingy but I want to add things that work for me anyway since some might be useful.

I think what's most important is communicating, talking about mutual interests, laughing together. If you can't see each other than you can compensate for this by doing things through text or videochat, ideally everyone should feel validated and accepted. It's vital to me that everyone knows the other's boundaries and who they would/wouldn't want you talking to, what you're labeling your relationship as...etc.etc.

It's cool to talk about each person's priorities and what they like/dislike. The more things you relate on, the more fun it'll be to talk to them without the person feeling like you're too clingy.

If they're there to help you when you're sad and you can help them, working on how to make this a mutual process, then things will likely be healthy. It's nice when you know you can fulfill each others needs or at a start, know what you'd have to do in order to fulfill what the other wants/needs.