Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Next day pill, pregnancy scare

imaginativeMelon7014 January 21st, 2017

I haven't been in this situation before and I am very insure how to react.

I had sex with a guy last night, a colleague, friend & he told me right after that he is unsure about how safe the act was. We used protection but he isn't very much confident it was alright. He wanted to buy a next day pill & so we did it. I took both pills from the box & right now I am having mixed feelings about all of it. I had in the past unprotected sex, I had scares about pregnancy but I never went to the pharmacy to buy a pill. I know we've been careful & responsible but the idea of getting to this point even with protection scares the sh*it out of me. I am in a fertile window, or at least that's what my calendar app says.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I am panicking too much right? He was pretty panicked as well.

@Amelia @Anomalia @MikeMadrid @BeYOUtywithin @soulsings

Anomalia January 21st, 2017

@imaginativeMelon7014 - I have been in a very similar situation (though in my case, it was just me worried about it and he was WAY too calm for my taste!). I tend to use two kinds of protection (birth control and condom) to make myself feel comfortable that I don't have a risk of getting pregnant as well as protection from STDs and if for some reason one isn't used, I have used the day after pill before. In all likelihood, condoms alone would suffice, but I think that the added security of using both helps me to feel more comfortable and safer, which isn't a bad thing.

That said, it really comes down to where the panic comes from. For me, it's a knowledge that nothing is a 100% guarantee, but two 90+% guarantees are better. It's basically just math. Do you feel like your concern is coming from a place that feels logical, or does it feel like it's panic without reason to back it? Because if you're feeling yourself slipping into a more paniced space that is hard to break out of or feel comfortable later from, that might be worth addressing so it's not something that continues to impact your life in various ways.

I'm not sure I'm making a ton of sense, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that 1. it's completely valid to be concerned about protection and want more assurance, and 2. If it feels like your panic is past where you feel it's reasonable, it's okay to want to talk about that and work through it.

Hope that helps! *hugs*