Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Unemployed Boyfriend

Mikanicolay August 11th, 2023

I met my boyfriend almost a year ago. He had a job and his own business. He took a long leave from his job to with his own business (which is out of state). He of course got fired from his job for taking too long to get back. Now that he’s unemployed he doesn’t have much money to travel back and forth and fund for his business. He said he regrets taking a big risk financially for his business.

Now he’s having a hard time landing a job because he has a past criminal record. I have helped giving him gas money but now I’m debating on whether or not I should continue to help him.

patientSky1754 August 12th, 2023

@Mikanicolay

It's never easy when the person we care about is going through financial difficulties and has a complicated past. I can understand why you're questioning whether to continue helping him. But let me remind you that your own well being and financial stability should always be a priority. It's wonderful that you've been supporting him with gas money, but it's important to ensure that you're not putting yourself at risk or compromising your own financial situation in the process. Having a past criminal record can indeed make it challenging for someone to find employment, but it doesn't define who they are as a person. Encourage him to explore opportunities that focus more on skills and experience rather than background checks. There may be organizations or programs that specialize in helping individuals with criminal records find employment, so it could be worth looking into those options together

PaulShipmanSmith August 21st, 2023

@Mikanicolay

In reply to....Unemployed Boyfriend...

The central point of your dilemma is whether or not you should finance your boyfriend's travel expenses so he can run this business.

He lost the job he needed to fund the business and now he relies on you to pay his travel costs - meaning he's not making any money at all.

Your boyfriend's criminal convictions don't help, yet he can still gain employment because many employers need people to do their work and don't worry about background checks or ask too many questions - unless it involves jobs such as childcare, healthcare or security work.

Whether you should fund your boyfriend's travel/fuel costs, depends on how much you doubt and debate the issue in your mind.

If you ask...."Should I be giving him more money?".....Then you may already know the answer.

Another question worth asking....What will you gain from giving him the money?

If your boyfriend is genuinely commited, he'll get himself a job, look at further training and respect your decision to stop giving him money.

Should he show resentment, perhaps consider if this relationship is worth carrying on.

Most importantly, look after your own financial security.

Paul.....