Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trying to meet new friends in person but have strict parents

Disneywoman August 5th

So back in June or July-I can't remember when I created a thread on reddit for my area because I wanted to make new friend.  I can find new friends to talk too.  But I would like to meet them one day-in real life and that's where the problem lies.   

Since I'm disabled my parents are strict about where I can go and whom I can hang out with.  All the cool activities happen in Toronto and I can't go in there on my own  without a "body guard" accompanying me (its for an understandable reason).    From 2009-2020- I went bowling but the majority of the people at the start were from church- so I can only do stuff with church members. 

I can do some stuff with my day-program in Achilles but it hasn't been in person since March 2020. Its still online at the moment and I can't interact at the moment.  Unless I want to go every Friday or every other Friday to Achilles' "Tim Horton's" for a meet up. 

And the people in my area in my town.. know me so much its gets really annoying to the fact that I'm basically "Harriet Potter"  since they seen me grow up from a baby to an adult. 

The only potential safe place I could think of meeting new people would be to go to my Classmate's workplace on a day she's working and try to meet people there. I know she's probably not avaible all the time to keep on eye on me.  But that's the only idea I have for a safe space. 

Otherwise my only other option is to try to meet people either at Pickwick's Mall, or one of the next times I go to a writer's group in Oliver.

toughTiger6481 August 11th

@Disneywoman

I think many people have the desire to meet in person friends and if you live in an area you may need to go to a bigger city to attend items that can be frightening for parents regardless of disability but that may make it harder in some cases....

keeping you safe and worrying even if it went perfectly fine is a good thing... believe it or not some people who had the worst things happen did not have parents or family that cared as much as yours. 

Disneywoman OP August 11th

@toughTiger6481 it just I would like to find some alteratvies to my sister (Luna) being my caregiver.  And since my parents refuse to make a back-up plan. I have to find a back-up plan of my own and I would like to be with friends then in a group home or something if Luna "gave up" on me or something.