Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Marriage self help resources

JessSnow May 7th, 2017

Hi guys and girls,

My marriage is on the rocks, can't afford counselling yet. Any good book/wookbook recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Jess x

PeachT May 7th, 2017

@JessSnow

Do you mind me asking what kind of issues your marriage is facing? Is it a destructive, emotionally/ verbally abusive relationship? Or just normal relationship issues (falling out of love, poor communication, not feeling appreciated, etc)? Is it one-sided.. is it just you wanting to save the marriage, or are both of you wanting to work on it? Are you looking for something religious or secular?

JessSnow OP May 7th, 2017

@PeachT

Hi Peach,

Just falling out of love stuff, more one sided (my side). No abuse or cheating or anything like that. Preferably not religious but I'm pretty open.

Thanks,

Jess x

NothingGold May 9th, 2017

@JessSnow There are so many things out there, just depends what you feel is right for you. The Gottman stuff is pretty tried and true, it's a good place to start. We're reading one called Hold Me Tight and I really like that so far - about building good attachment in marriage.

PeachT May 12th, 2017

@JessSnow

I highly recommend Gottman as well! www.gottman.com

www.assumelove.com

Also, it's from a Christian perspective, but I really like 'For Women Only' by Shanti Feldhahn.

Another thing is learning your love languages: www.5lovelanguages.com

NothingGold May 12th, 2017

@PeachT I totally second the love languages - very eye opening if you haven't gone through them before.

JessSnow OP May 12th, 2017

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your suggestions, we'll check them out :) I really appreciate your help ❤

Take care of yourselves

Jess x