Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fell for my friend who is getting over his ex... Help

AureliaTanzanite715 January 15th, 2020

I became friends with a guy back in September and we really hit it off. He was been more supportive to me than anyone, girl or guy friends, especially guys. He has shown me how I should expect to be treated by a guy in any sort of relationship. The problem has come in that I have developed feelings for him and we have talked about it, but he has had an on again-off again thing with his Ex after she returned from Africa in November (where he believes she cheated on him) and although it seems to be over now, he definitely needs time to heal from it. I am struggling because I have impulsive tendencies and insecurities from my own relationship experiences along with Bipolar 2. He has given off some signals in his actions, and sometimes his words vaguely when he is drinking, that he is interested in me which has flaired my interests and driven me to be more attached in a romantic fashion. We had sex at a party and while I do not regret it, I know that it damaged our friendship because it heightened my feelings... We have repeatedly tried to establish boundaries and be just friends but whenever we are together in person it gets more romantic than platonic... We have talked about it and he is very understanding and supportive of me. We are taking a short break from talking so that I can gather myself because he has said again he wants to be just friends. I know he needs the time to heal whether he is possibly interested in me or not. But I am having a hard time determining if I can be just friends with him. I really want to be because we have clicked and he has been so supportive of me in all of my mental health. He also has some anxiety and depression as well.

I am looking for suggestions in managing my own impulsiveness and high emotionality as well as the best way for me to support him after his break up. I find myself being selfish and stressing over my own feelings instead of considering the difficult time he is going through right now and the cyclone of emotions he must be feeling. Also any suggestions for maintaining a friendship when you were hoping for more from it? Thank you for any support

kitkat349 January 16th, 2020

@AureliaTanzanite715 Maybe just be friends there is no rush to be in a romantic relationship let him heal from the past realtionship if its still fresh in his mind