Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Getting through a breakup

modestClementine3641 June 4th, 2022

Hi, so my bf broke up with me a few weeks ago after we had been on a forced break from my parents for a month prior. Our relationship seemed genuine, at least from my perspective, and I truly did love him and was so happy with him, and he appeared to feel the same. At the time of the breakup, it came on suddenly after I told him my parents would like to have a sit down talk with us, to which he replied our relationship was no longer worth the effort. It took an hour on the phone before he finally said the words "we're over, " and even then sounded apologetic. He also said he still loved me and would like to remain friends, which I think is the most absurd request to expect me to go along with. I went through 3 weeks of pain afterwards, the only thing holding me on being the hope that he would come back. Today I saw him at our church festival and he didn't even bat an eye at me, he seemed perfectly fine without me whereas I fought back tears before I finally left. I could've never put him through the pain he is putting me through bc I love him too much to do so, therefore I'm beginning to believe it was all a game and he never really loved me. It feels like a knife twisting in my side, and every so often it cuts deeper as it is now. I don't know how to get through this and be okay on my own. If anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated.

0m June 15th, 2022

@modestClementine3641

Hello

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through such pain post breakup. I agree with your analysis that the suggestion of the sit down talk probably made him reconsider the relationship. You clearly cared a great deal about him and it continues to hurt you as you try to cope with his decision to end it.

For some guidance on understanding and dealing with this phase, may I suggest our self help guide https://www.7cups.com/breakup-advice/