Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Advice for getting through a mutual and amicable break up where no one was really in the wrong

NothingLastsForever66 September 25th

Hi all, I am going through the hardest break up of my life. I have nothing bad to say about my now ex and we both tried so hard to make it work. It was a case of two well-intentioned, good-hearted people that wanted to be together more than anything, that still ending up hurting each other. We just weren’t the best fit and small things added to making each other unhappy. I am entrenched in guilt and disappointment and frustration and heartbrokenness over how this was turned out despite so much effort on both sides. I am especially blaming myself because I remember all the unhealthy and toxic ways I dealt with my insecurities and upset in the relationship. Despite the fact that I turned it all around before the end, I blame myself and tell myself I brought us to this demise. I am in great need of advice from all others out there that have been in these similar shoes who could shed some light on how I could possibly move forward? Thank you everyone.

toughTiger6481 September 25th

@NothingLastsForever66

I think many feel this would be the easiest breakup but I feel it is harder when we both walk away.  There is no he or she did this type excuse. 

We think through it   and try to figure out why... 

I find it is not the relationship or friendships or even jobs....... when we leave ....we tend to think of all the "good" things and forget  the items that made our decision ... those now seem small and we think we should have been able work around this.   WE miss what could have been not what it really was.