Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Award speech for "Best Undercover Emo"

GlisteningEmbers February 6th

Hello Hot Topic, and classmates!

I’m sure you are all aware of the epidemic that occurred primarily in the 2000’s known as the Emo phase and is still celebrated today through rock music and ripped jeans. However, I’d like you all to know that it isn’t just a frame of style, it’s a frame of mind. Earning this award is the greatest honor I could receive because of my lack of outward emo appearance.

At first glance, I may appear as a teacher, professor, or college student. However, this is not the case. It may come as a shock to some of you that I am actually emo. Ever since my discovery of this way of life, I have researched and safely embraced it through my interests and my twist on my professional, modest clothing.  Over the years, I’ve had many takes on my style from the “my parents still choose my outfit” look to “I have no idea what my style is” look.

Beneath this façade of a sweet, goody-two-shoes lies an arena of diverse feelings. A kaleidoscope of emotions that has shaped me into who I am today. Through my journey of self-discovery, I have navigated the complexities of my inner darkness while presenting a calm and collected exterior to the rest of the world.

This journey would not have shaped me without its challenges. There have been moments of darkness, moments of feeling misunderstood, and moments I’ve felt out of place. But through it all, I found strength in my vulnerability and courage in embracing the depths of my emotions, despite all the times society told me to hide them away.

With this award, I’d like to mention the fact that emos are very emotional durable people, considering the frequent stereotypes that circulate around us in popular culture. For this very reason, this award has no price for how much it means to me. Earning this award is such an honor to me because of the emotional complexity of everyone in the emo community, and everyone outside of it. Our disguises have challenged the idea of what it means to be human. In honor of emos everywhere, I stand here, informing you all of the beauty of vulnerability, the power of empathy, and the strength of human spirits. May this story of my endurance inspire you all to embrace your differences, wear your hearts on your sleeve, and never shy away from the complexity of our minds that make us who we are. Rock on. 

GlisteningEmbers OP February 6th

For context, we had to choose a company and an award that we earned.