Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

wanting to belong

thoughtfulComputer9328 November 27th, 2020

I am a black girl and sometimes i wish i had a space with friends like me, i moved to a place where i wasnt the only black kid and i still feel like the odd one out the bunch. I mean i made a friend who was just the same as me so i guess thats not my problem, I guess its moreso i feel like i want to have more friends like that and its been hard to find them given our certain circumstances. My BSU club meets once a month so ill gather more friends there, but rn i feel like i want to speak out and share my experiences and rant in this one thing im in but i dont feel like i fit in or can. I just wanna find my friend group so i dont have to be an odd one out racially anymore.

Asher November 27th, 2020

It's understandable to want to belong. Thank you for sharing this viewpoint of this.

hopedreamlove November 28th, 2020

@thoughtfulComputer9328

Hello! It can feel awfully lonely and really awful feeling like the odd one out. It is perfectly understandable to want to belong and have friends who are like you. It is awesome that there are BSU meetings you are able to attend, clubs like that can definitely be helpful in making us feel like we belong and interacting with people like us. I hope that as time passes, you are able to find more friends who can relate to you. Here on 7 Cups, you are welcome to speak about your experiences, and hopefully find some other community users who can relate to you as well! We are all here for you, you belong here Red heart

softMusic9759 November 28th, 2020

@thoughtfulComputer9328

Hello! Your feelings are so valid, you're allowed to feel a certain way and it isn't your fault! I'm glad you're slowly being able to make new friends and I know it might take some time, but you'll get to a point where you are comfortable with those around you and are surrounded by people who can make you feel like you belong! (Also, of course, you're allowed to talk about your experiences on here, we're all here for you!)

wannatalkaboutit March 3rd, 2021

@thoughtfulComputer9328 Im really sorry you have to feel that way. I know how you feel. Its really alienating and frusturating when people dont get what your going through. Im available to chat if you would like, I am also in a similar experience. :]

SunnyShine95 June 4th, 2021

Hello! This resonates with me alot. I had a very hard time with this when i was in high school. I looked talked and liked different things than the black kids, but the white kids wouldn’t accept me because of my blackness. Especially when trying to date 😂. Now as an adult i’m much more aware that I don’t have to be a certain way to still be black and engage with our community, especially because now adays there are black folks that will share your interests from anime to makeup. It helped me to join black discord groups, which is where I met most of my black friends, and now i also use BumbleBFF to find some friends more in my area that are black. As long as you are yourself no matter who you’re around and remain confident you’ll find the group meant for you! Hope this anecdote helps i’m kind of a rambler.