Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Struggling to embrace my culture

Lee29897 March 10th, 2022

I'm half white and half Mexican and my white mother is the one who mostly raised me. My father never taught me Spanish and he passed away 2 years ago. I don't really have any contact with my father's side of the family. I want to learn more about my culture but I don't know where to start.

CheeryMango March 31st, 2022

There are lots of resources online. You can possibly start by researching the history of Mexico and how it came to be.

affectionateCat9553 March 31st, 2022

@Lee29897 Talking to someone in your family is probably the best way to find out more about your Mexican heritage but if you are not able to do that reading about Mexico can help. Taking a college level Latin/Mexican history class may help. Be careful about connecting with people you don't really know, even family because you never know how they might treat you. Other things you can do are ancestry DNA. I have done this myself. It's a good way to see what ethnic groups you are a part of including your Mom's. I know people don't always think of White people as having a group of people they belong to from Europe but they do.