Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Kimson's Open Letter: When Things Get Hard As They Sometimes Will....

TheSteveFundYPOC May 30th, 2020

It has taken me a while to think about what I should say after what has been in the news this week in the U.S. Honestly, my heart is heavy and although I want to participate in conversations that lead to resolutions. There is a part of me that wants to take time to process how I can be the most present in this moment. Here in our community we openly talk about race, discrimination, prejudice and stereotypes. I acknowledge each one as "uncomfortable topic" and not welcomed as "necessary" conversations in some spaces. I often hear that people believe we don't need to talk about these topics in 2020. However, when events or moments like this happen locally, nationally and internationally this reminds me why we need a space for People of Color and those who do not identify as people of color but want to serve as allies. As we continue conversations about solutions, coping mechanisms and sometimes just to vent to one another.

Since, I started working with you all to build this community, I receive messages that inquire about why we exist, unsure about our intentions and questions about why we choose the topics we discuss. Our work here in this community to create a brave space for people to talk about the realities of our societies, at times can seem to heavy to bear. Here we create a space for people like you and me to talk when we may feel others aren't listening. Our space is not about quieting voices but uplifting our voice to address challenges that people of color face everywhere. Supporting people of color is a humbling place to exist, teach and learn from everyday. I am grateful for all of you, without knowing you personally you inspire me to do the work even when it is difficult and when I am hoping that each word you see in our community means something.

I want to say thank you to you all for walking alongside me in this journey to support, grow and improve our community. We have come a long way and the ability to interact with you in forums, chats and PM's are so special for me and my team. You all make each hand clap and each criticism I receive worth it. In these times, things can feel heavy. Talking about the pandemic, mental health, living as a person of color, supporting communities of color, serving as an ally, or just participating to learn the language needed to talk about these challenges is a process. I can not guarantee or even say everything will be okay, but what I am saying is that we will learn from these challenges and build a stronger tomorrow. I hope as you read my letter, you know that I am thinking about all of you as I type. I want you all to live in a place of peace in this present world of uncertainity. You are seen here, your voice matter here and I am so grateful you decided to join us here.

Until my next open letter,

Kimson

SoulfullyAButterfly May 30th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC Thank you for this important letter.

TheSteveFundYPOC OP June 3rd, 2020

@SoulfullyAButterfly

You are welcome and thanks for taking the time to read.

hopedreamlove May 30th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

Thank you so much for this letter. This indeed has been a challenging week, and it has really gotten me thinking. I agree, some people often think that issues like this are not an issue in 2020, but when things like this happen, it becomes apparent that that is not true, and these things still need to be discussed and worked on. I am sorry to hear that you have been criticized for building this community. Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do for this community, and for allowing people of color and everyone to have a voice. We appreciate all your hard work, everything you have done. Thank you.

@hopedreamlove

Thanks for your words of support and have a great week!

barncat May 30th, 2020

Your bring the reality of life happening throughout the world to this platform. Thank you.

@barncat

It is my pleasure and thanks for taking the time to comment.

May 30th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

Thank you so much for posting out this letter. I'm really glad that you addressed this and I couldn't agree more!

@AnastasiaSmith

Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

TheAtticusFinch May 30th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

It's been a hard week; thank you for the letter with this important message.

@TheAtticusFinch

Very tough but I hope you are having a good week thus far.

aeris156 May 31st, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

this has been such a heartbreaking week and i appreciate your thoughtful and kind letter heart for any teens out there who need to talk to a POC about what's been going on, feel free to PM me :) be safe everyone

@aeris156

Thanks for your willingness to be resource for POC teens! You are greatly appreciated.

aeris156 June 3rd, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

heartheart

LexIris May 31st, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

Thanks for this letter Kimson. I've been thinking a lot about the incident that happened recently as well and it's been hard seeing it everywhere and seeing people anger and anguish. Thank you for supporting this sub-community and it sucks that you've been criticized for it. All your work is acknowledged and appreciated. Take care and stay safe ❤️

@LexIris

Thank you for your kind words stay safe and have great week!

lyricalAngel70 June 4th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

I totally agree with everything that you addressed in this open letter. Thank you so much for writing all the essential points. I highly believe that as long as racism, caste discrimination, prejudice, social stigmas, etc exist around us, we will always have to raise our voices against it and we will have to discuss it along with its resolution. Be it in 2020 or 2050. Humanity is lost somewhere and honestly, it is seen seldom. We need to revive the concept of humanity it seems.

TheSteveFundYPOC OP June 13th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70

Awesome words and I agree. Thanks for sharing.

lyricalAngel70 June 13th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

Most welcome. ❤

bubbleCircle3689 June 4th, 2020

@KimsonTheSteveFundYPOC

Thank you so much.

Highly appreciated.

TheSteveFundYPOC OP June 13th, 2020

@bubbleCircle3689

You are welcome and thanks for taking the time to readsmiley

GIDGET2021 June 15th, 2020

im just havin a blast