Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Teaching Listeners To Support *you* Better!❀

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 5th, 2023

Hey hey wonderful people coming across. I hope this month's treating you well. πŸ’›

I am Sun, and I'd like to extend a warm welcome to everyone new to the Young People of Color sub-community. We are so glad to have you with us.

You're welcome to introduce yourself here (it's such a creative way of getting to know you better) as well as join the community taglist so you're always updated with the sub-community events! πŸ’›

Now coming on to the main reason behind this post: my wonderful peer, we need *your* support to support *you* better.

We understand it's not at all easy to reach out to someone for support, what makes most of us even more hesitant in doing so is the concern whether or not someone could understand what we are experiencing and if they can support us in feeling better in any way.

We know our listeners continue to give their best in offering you (the members here) a safe, non-judgmental, compassionate and kind space to talk to, so you can feel more comfortable in sharing about your thoughts and feelings with them, however, we acknowledge as we gather here to support you, it's pivotal to know what makes *you* feel most supported and what would you expect from an active listener here.

Your voice matters, and we'd like to provide you with a space to share it too. So here's a couple of questions for you to reflect on:

β™‘ What are some struggles you experience/d as a person of color, that you wish your listeners understood better?

β™‘ What are some things you'd expect from an active listener supporting you, in order to make you feel most heard and validated?

β™‘ Feel free to share any other tips or suggestions for our listeners to support you better, and become a better Ally/ part of your support-system for you!

We acknowledge not every chat goes well and there's room for improvement for all, however we would request you to not bring up the not-so-great experiences you may have had with some listeners in the past in this thread, (If you need admin support for your safety or reporting tools, please check out more information Here).

Having said that, you're welcome to share as much or as little you're comfortable with, for the questions above, potentially also sharing about what could make your support-seeking experience better from a listener's end, any help is greatly appreciated, as we'd be utilizing the tips and information you share here to support and train our listeners better. It's going to be a win-win for everyone, I believe! πŸ’›

lets-get-it-done-get-it-done.gif

[Gif description: a high five in the background, with a message that reads "Let's get it done together"]

Current taglist:

@FaithfulZareia @Littlerose00 @SherweetSherif97 @SirenOfSerenity @theboymoana @tommy @lovingPomegranate1982 @HarmonyBlossom

Cc: @beck1

SirenOfSerenity September 5th, 2023

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou This is such an incredible post and topic, thank you for opening a space to have this discussed

Sunisshiningandsoareyou OP September 5th, 2023

@SirenOfSerenity

Thank you, super glad you feel so too!