Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Representation in the Media

hopedreamlove July 14th, 2021
Hello hello hello lovely YPOC community! How is everyone doing?

It has been awhile since I posted a forum discussion! Recently, I was watching TV and movies and got to thinking. I noticed that there was not many people in the media who I feel like represent me. For people of color or people of other minority groups, it can be difficult to find accurate representation in the media. This includes books, magazines, tv shows, movies, and more. I would say that though there is slightly more representation for people who like like me than when I was young, there still is not enough. Sometimes though the media may have the best intentions in representation, it actually ends up being misrepresentation that is filled with stereotypes and inaccuracy. I would really love to hear your thoughts about representation in the media.

- What is representation to you? Why is it important?
- Do you personally feel represented in the media? If so, in what have you found representation?
- What have you generally seen more of? Representation or misrepresentation?

If you have any more thoughts regarding representation in the media please do feel free to share it with us! Also feel free to check out this post for a forum activity on representation in the media. Thank you for participating in this forum discussion! I appreciated hearing your perspective and your voice heart
hopedreamlove OP July 14th, 2021

To add or remove yourself from the YPOC tag-list, please click HERE!
@AddictedTealover98 @aeris156 @ahealingEndoftherainbow22 @ajakachira @Alecto @AmberLilly21 @Angel1011208 @artume @ATurnInTheRoad @AuthenticTree @azuladragon34 @badejoro @benevolentsunshine9478 @blackcandy8711 @bluewaterfalls4422 @BookChunky @bouncySalamander26 @bouncyVoice4149 @brandin0 @caffeinatedcatio @caringSmiles1016 @certainlyuncertain @cheerfulsea45 @ClairePotato @Colorfulcatsofhope @courageousPurple57 @CrickettheSilent @DancingSkies @DarkPiT23 @decisiveScarf8956 @delugedrizzle @DezEisenhour11 @DinaElwy @dreamSmiles16 @ElectricBird @EmKayGee10 @EndlessChanges @faithandhope85 @fantasticDancer50 @Flornhope @funnyapplehehehehe @galactictroubles @gentlebreeze1236 @GlitteringNights @gorgeous2005 @GracexGrey31 @Grayce174 @halle16 @HannahChu777 @Hashib22 @Hazzy050206 @HealingHope0808 @HelloWorld29 @hopedreamlove @Hyacinth22 @Hydrangea03 @Imasunflower1234 @immortalwolfieslyrics @ItsReganingRain @ivoryCircle7085 @JoyfulUnicorn @k87 @KACOSMIC @KarrotCake @KatK @KC789 @KeepGoing21 @kindheartedWords6803 @KireinaWazawaiGai @kourtneypoe20 @Kritikaaa @lavenderSquire2736 @Leah157 @LegendsNeverDie @Lexuah @Lifer @LittleMissJoy @livefreely04 @LonelyAngels @lovelywords13 @luzzie @lyricalAngel70 @lyricalsea85 @Mankka @MaryGamer @MatchaPie @Matteo2020 @mohamed1994 @morecake @mridi2020 @MsGoody2Shoes @MyNameIsNicole @Naonao @NatalieanotNatalia @NatSangster @nicedaisy36 @NimoSayeda @NonJudgemental101 @nyjeab @oenomaus @OliviaWilson5 @OptimismofCandide @overtherainbow17 @Pandahelp113 @parisayano @passionatedreams @peacefulBubbles40 @Peacefulness101 @PepperBunny @PerfectlyFlawed @PlainRiver @Princessalmond @proudHoney7365 @purpleEyes1324 @Queen44 @RachelAngeli @raymaniii @Rebecca5482 @sadeggie @SappyKid @ScarletHouse7925 @She13 @silverOrange298 @silverPomegranate58 @sleepydandelionbby @SloJackCrow @softMusic9759 @Solitudism @SophTheListener2022 @SupportBrownie @sweetlife101 @sympatheticPlum5500 @Tazzie @therebelpoet @thoughtfuldana4 @Trancee242829 @tryingandsurviving @understandingAcres5315 @UndomesticGoddess @usefulSummer3139 @Verity19 @VerseArt @vipulsodhi @wannatalkaboutit @WishingWell14 @wittykj2131 @wonderfulMango5023 @Yourlifeisworthy

aeris156 July 14th, 2021

@hopedreamlove

this is a great discussion, and super important! heart

- What is representation to you? Why is it important?
to me, representation is the ACCURATE depiction of my communities in the media! so representation means that people who belong to the cultures or identities that i do are treated with respect and compassion and above all, accuracy! it's important because it not only normalizes and provides some extra support to people who belong to that community, but it also educates people who don't necessarily belong to that community too!
- Do you personally feel represented in the media? If so, in what have you found representation?
I think that it's slowly getting better, but as of right now, no. when talking specifically about south asian representation in western media, if it exists, it usually features a typical standard of beauty and a relatively stereotypical experience. these brown actors, while beautiful, are almost always light-skinned and have straight hair and eurocentric features, which are all things that i don't have. also, the indian subcontinent is massive and so so diverse, so it frustrates me when only certain types of stories are told (immigrant families, assimilating into american culture, etc.) when there are so many more! not to say that those stories aren't important, because they are, but i wish more were told!
- What have you generally seen more of? Representation or misrepresentation?
generally more misrepresentation, although slowly but surely i'm starting to see a little more healthy representation!

hopedreamlove OP July 26th, 2021

@aeris156 Hi hi!

I completely agree with you! Respect, compassion, and accuracy are so important in representation! It can be so frustrating when we are not represented in the media. I've also definitely noticed that when there is south Asian representation, a lot of the time it's light skinned people. This is true not only in the US, but even in many South Asian countries. In Bangladesh I've noticed the billboards are filled with light skinned women advertising produce, and tv dramas either have light skinned actors/actresses, or darker actors/actresses wearing very light makeup. I can relate, I also get frustrated when I see only certain type of stories being told. We all come from different walks of live despite our skin color, despite where we're from, and until diverse stories are told, representation is not really possible. Thank you so much for participating in this discussion! I enjoyed reading your thoughts!

SuperQueenListener July 24th, 2021

Representation to me is showing people who are like you and/or things that you are going through and can relate to. Good reprensentation in the media is important because it is a powerful tool. "The United States have something more powerful than China and Russia. They have the media", said Malcolm X. That is so true. The media is basically witchcraft- controlling how you feel. When people see things in the media, that causes them to react to things to subsconsciously and consciously. It causes oppression, discrimination, hatred, violence, harm, damage, racism, and the list goes on. It causes stigmas too. No, I do not feel properly represneted in the media as an African-American female who suffers from so called mental illnesses. I know from experiences and years of research since slavery in the United States that it is did intentionally and be design. African-Americans are portrayed as: thugs, slaves, savages, violence, hateful, lazy, criminals, dirty, and everything negativity. When you are potrayed like that of who you are and look as an African-American/African descendant person along with having a mental illness, that is hard to cope with. People will from the start without knowing anything about you will already hold and act on that belief. I am a brown skin female. Light skin Africans/African descendant people and mixed raced people are represented in a better light in the media. It have even spread like that to Asian cultures. I totally agree with that. Yes, they are often portrayed with eurocentric features. They should portray positive black families and representations such as: The Cosby Show, Family Matters, Montel Jordan Show, Teen Summit, BET's Nightly News, and show Africans/African-American people in all walks of life including the science, mathematics, engineerning, and technology.

hopedreamlove OP July 26th, 2021

@SuperQueenListener

Hello! I agree, the media can definitely control or effect how you feel. It makes total sense that you don't feel accurately represented by the media. Unfortunately there is a ton of misrepresentation and just completely stereotyped, negative portrays of African American people in the media. "People will from the start without knowing anything about you will already hold and act on that belief," this is very true unfortunately! Representation in the media plays a huge role in affecting others peoples views and perspectives so when there is misrepresentation or just complete inaccuracy, it really affects people's knowledge and biases and can cause lots of people to be treated very unfairly or being discriminated against. I hope that as time passes, accurate representation becomes more and more common and also that African/African American people are portrayed in all the different careers your mentioned. Thank you so much for participating in this discussion, I very much enjoyed hearing your perspective and voice!

SuperQueenListener July 27th, 2021

@hopedreamlove You are so welcome. I agree with you as well.

mliu357 February 25th, 2023

Acting on b1/2 of sum1. It opens the doors 4 more opportunities, voices n journeys 2 b heard. It can also b helpful in reducing - stereotypes ab other groups. Thru it, we validate lives of this disenfranchised by racism, discrimination & support.

Misrepresentation.

mliu357 February 25th, 2023

Ofc! 🤍