Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Juneteenth

aeris156 June 29th, 2022

Hello hello, my beautiful YPOC community! To all my fellow Americans and especially the Black Americans who are part of YPOC, I wanted to wish you all a wonderful belated Juneteenth! For those of you who may not know, Juneteenth (a combination of the words “June” and “nineteenth”) is a holiday celebrating the emancipation of Black Americans from slavery in Texas, the final ones to hear about the news of emancipation. As of June 17th, 2021, Juneteenth has become recognized as a federal holiday in America.

This is an incredible milestone for the Black community! Slavery was a horrific stain on American history, and the effects of slavery are still felt today, so I am thrilled that this has become a recognized holiday in order to honor this community. Of course, I must acknowledge that there is still so much that needs to be done to advance justice in this country. If you are interested, HERE is a link to an article about critical race theory, which can be a powerful educational tool to learn about the history and effects of racism.

Juneteenth is often celebrated by highlighting Black American artists and writers, as well as celebrating with soul food. As part of this celebration, I wanted to direct you all to a wonderful performance of “Lift Every Voice And Sing” by Aretha Franklin! CLICK HERE to listen :) This piece is often considered the Black national anthem in America, and Aretha Franklin was an incredible and iconic singer! I hope you all enjoy the performance as much as I did!

⭐Have you heard about Juneteenth before? If so, where, and if not, did you learn something interesting?
⭐Did you watch the video of Aretha Franklin? What did you think?
⭐ Do you have any other questions or things you’d like to share about this holiday?

Click HERE if you would like to be added/removed from the taglist!

@AddictedTealover98 @aeris156 @ahealingEndoftherainbow22 @ajakachira @Alecto @AmberLilly21 @Angel1011208 @artume @ATurnInTheRoad @AuthenticTree @azuladragon34 @badejoro @benevolentsunshine9478 @blackcandy8711 @bluewaterfalls4422 @BookChunky @bouncySalamander26 @bouncyVoice4149 @brandin0 @caffeinatedcatio @caringSmiles1016 @certainlyuncertain @cheerfulsea45 @ClairePotato @Colorfulcatsofhope @courageousPurple57 @CrickettheSilent @DancingSkies @DarkPiT23 @decisiveScarf8956 @delugedrizzle @DezEisenhour11 @DinaElwy @dreamSmiles16 @ElectricBird @EmKayGee10 @EndlessChanges @faithandhope85 @fantasticDancer50 @Flornhope @galactictroubles @gentlebreeze1236 @GlitteringNights @gorgeous2005 @GracexGrey31 @Grayce174 @halle16 @HannahChu777 @Hashib22 @Hazzy050206 @HealingHope0808 @HelloWorld29 @hopedreamlove @Hyacinth22 @Hydrangea03 @Imasunflower1234 @immortalwolfieslyrics @ItsReganingRain @ivoryCircle7085 @JoyfulUnicorn @k87 @KACOSMIC @KarrotCake @KatK @KC789 @KeepGoing21 @kindheartedWords6803 @KireinaWazawaiGai @kourtneypoe20 @Kritikaaa @lavenderSquire2736 @Leah157 @LegendsNeverDie @Lexuah @Lifer @LittleMissJoy @livefreely04 @LonelyAngels @lovelywords13 @luzzie @lyricalAngel70 @lyricalsea85 @Mankka @MaryGamer @MatchaPie @Matteo2020 @mohamed1994 @morecake @mridi2020 @MsGoody2Shoes @MyNameIsNicole @Naonao @NatalieanotNatalia @NatSangster @nicedaisy36 @NimoSayeda @NonJudgemental101 @nyjeab @oenomaus @OliviaWilson5 @OptimismofCandide @overtherainbow17 @Pandahelp113 @parisayano @passionatedreams @peacefulBubbles40 @Peacefulness101 @PepperBunny @PerfectlyFlawed @PlainRiver @Princessalmond @proudHoney7365 @purpleEyes1324 @Queen44 @RachelAngeli @raymaniii @Rebecca5482 @sadeggie @SappyKid @ScarletHouse7925 @She13 @silverOrange298 @silverPomegranate58 @sleepydandelionbby @SloJackCrow @softMusic9759 @Solitudism @SophTheListener2022 @SupportBrownie @sweetlife101 @sympatheticPlum5500 @Tazzie @therebelpoet @thoughtfuldana4 @Trancee242829 @tryingandsurviving @understandingAcres5315 @UndomesticGoddess @usefulSummer3139 @Verity19 @VerseArt @vipulsodhi @wannatalkaboutit @WishingWell14 @wittykj2131 @wonderfulMango5023 @Yourlifeisworthy

SirenOfSerenity July 5th, 2022

@aeris156

Thank you so much for this informative post, made it much easier for me to learn along as well ❤🖤💚

SirenOfSerenity July 5th, 2022

Also, the Aretha Franklin video was very emotional and moving to me!

LovingPeacefulHeart July 6th, 2022

@aeris156

As an ally, thanks for the post! Blessings to all in the com!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

chrysalisburst July 16th, 2022

Thank you for this post. The Aretha Franklin video was very powerful.