Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Check On Your Strong Friends

aeris156 March 1st, 2022

Hello my lovely YPOC community!! I was having a conversation with someone the other day about this, and I was inspired to bring this idea to all of you! Today let's talk about checking in on the strong people in our lives!

There are people who seem to have it all together and who are always there to be your rock when you need it, but what if they need support too? Here are some tips for handling this:

1. Be Present

Take time to sit with your friend and let them share how they are feeling

2. Don’t diminish their feelings

If your friend has decided to open up to you about their feelings, don’t diminish them. Saying phrases as simple as “Oh you’ll be alright,” or “That’s not that bad” can shut someone down and invalidate their experience

3. Check In

Your strong friend is always checking on everyone. It takes a small amount of time to send them a quick message to check in to see how they are doing

Signs-of-a-Strong-Friendship-1.jpg

Questions:

1)Are you the strong friend in your friend group?
2)What can you do to support your strong friend today?
aeris156 OP March 1st, 2022

Taglist:

@AddictedTealover98 @aeris156 @ahealingEndoftherainbow22 @ajakachira @Alecto @Allnaturalnuttella101 @AmberLilly21 @Angel1011208 @artume @ATurnInTheRoad @AuthenticTree @azuladragon34 @badejoro @benevolentsunshine9478 @blackcandy8711 @bluewaterfalls4422 @BookChunky @bouncySalamander26 @bouncyVoice4149 @brandin0 @caffeinatedcatio @caringSmiles1016 @certainlyuncertain @cheerfulsea45 @ClairePotato @Colorfulcatsofhope @courageousPurple57 @CrickettheSilent @DancingSkies @DarkPiT23 @decisiveScarf8956 @delugedrizzle @DezEisenhour11 @DinaElwy @ElectricBird @EmKayGee10 @EndlessChanges @faithandhope85 @Faithmagic @fantasticDancer50 @Flornhope @funnyapplehehehehe @galactictroubles @gentlebreeze1236 @GlitteringNights @gorgeous2005 @GracexGrey31 @Grayce174 @halle16 @HannahChu777 @Hashib22 @Hazzy050206 @HealingHope0808 @HelloWorld29 @hopedreamlove @Hyacinth22 @Imasunflower1234 @immortalwolfieslyrics @ItsReganingRain @ivoryCircle7085 @JoyfulUnicorn @k87 @KACOSMIC @KarrotCake @KatK @KC789 @KeepGoing21 @kindheartedWords6803 @KireinaWazawaiGai @kourtneypoe20 @Kritikaaa @lavenderSquire2736 @Leah157 @LegendsNeverDie @Lexuah @Lifer @LittleMissJoy @livefreely04 @LonelyAngels @lovelywords13 @LovetoGod @luzzie @lyricalAngel70 @lyricalsea85 @Mankka @MaryGamer @MatchaPie @Matteo2020 @mohamed1994 @morecake @mridi2020 @MsGoody2Shoes @MyNameIsNicole @Naonao @NatalieanotNatalia @NatSangster @nicedaisy36 @NimoSayeda @NonJudgemental101 @nyjeab @oenomaus @OliviaWilson5 @OptimismofCandide @overtherainbow17 @Pandahelp113 @parisayano @passionatedreams @peacefulBubbles40 @Peacefulness101 @PepperBunny @PerfectlyFlawed @PlainRiver @Princessalmond @proudHoney7365 @purpleEyes1324 @Queen44 @RachelAngeli @raymaniii @Rebecca5482 @sadeggie @SappyKid @ScarletHouse7925 @She13 @silverOrange298 @silverPomegranate58 @sleepydandelionbby @SloJackCrow @softMusic9759 @Solitudism @SophTheListener2022 @SupportBrownie @sweetlife101 @sympatheticPlum5500 @Tazzie @therebelpoet @thoughtfuldana4 @Trancee242829 @tryingandsurviving @understandingAcres5315 @UndomesticGoddess @usefulSummer3139 @Verity19 @VerseArt @vipulsodhi @wannatalkaboutit @WishingWell14 @wittykj2131 @wonderfulMango5023 @Yourlifeisworthy

sunnyWriting4806 March 3rd, 2022

@aeris156

Awesome post! I related so much reading this and I think there's so many useful takeaways I got from reading this thread.

1)Are you the strong friend in your friend group?
- I think I am, as someone who wants to be a good listener, I take pride in being calm and empathetic to my friends whenever they need help. To do that I make sure to take care of myself in many ways (physical, mental and emotional). However, like you said I have so many times when I desire the same from other people, being present to listen to my problems and being checked on occasionally.
2)What can you do to support your strong friend today?
- somethings I'd really like is just being asked how my day was, or how my life is going lately. It's really hard to find someone who says that regularly to feel as if you're being supported.
chrysalisburst July 16th, 2022

Thanks for this post. It is a great reminder that it is important to be intentional about reaching out, especially with friends who are more likely to do the supporting than to be supported. They may not even want to always be cast in the role of helper; some people do this naturally, and friends assume that they do not need anything. I can think of a friend who is often in that role. I will reach out to her today :)

mliu357 February 25th, 2023

Ask how they’re feeling.