Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Module 1. Mindfulness: (Discussion #5) Mental Noting

QuietMagic November 16th, 2021

DBTuesday is a series of posts where we explore skills and concepts from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).

This is one of several posts focusing on mindfulness, which is the first module of DBT skills training. See this post for general info about DBT and this post for more info about mindfulness.

What is mental noting?

In the previous post, we described the mindfulness skill of describing, which is putting experiences into words.

One specific application of this is mental noting, which is using a single word to label experiences as they happen.

Examples of mental noting

Here are some examples of things we might note:

• Experiences (e.g. “hearing”, “seeing”, “touching”, “feeling”, “thinking”)
  • Sensations (e.g. “warmth”, “coolness”, “pressure”, “tightness”)
  • Emotions (e.g. “happiness”, “sadness”, “excitement”, “fear”)
  • Thoughts (e.g. “wanting”, “planning”, “resisting”)
  • Breath (e.g. “rising”, “falling”, “inhale”, “exhale”)

Benefits of mental noting

Using thoughts as an anchor
Often thinking can pull us out of what we’re experiencing. Here we’re using thoughts to keep us focused on what is happening. Mental noting involves just a single word, so it’s less likely to be distracting than most thinking.

Giving our thinking mind something to do
Mental noting is pretty clever. Instead of trying to suppress our thinking mind, we’re just giving it something different to do. 😊

Helping to stay calm
If we’re in the middle of a really strong or difficult experience, having that word from mental noting can be something neutral or calming to focus on and rest in.

Reflection

Feel free to share any thoughts, feelings, or reactions you have after reading this.

Source:
https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/mental-noting/

@Adeline12345 @ahhhhelpimalive @AlfAndthemachine @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @ChristmasGift @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @EddaLayla @emerijourney @EmotionalNerd @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @GreenScarab @Hadeel96 @HashiramaNinja @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant
Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 16th, 2021

@QuietMagic

I appreciate you for continuing this amazing forum discussion series, Josh ! These posts are ultra amazing, with great information and insight ! ❤

This particular thread, about mental notes, was a comforting read in the sense that there's an actual thing called " taking mental notes " and it is assuring that reliving these notes can help familiarize as well as be our "comfy blanket" during difficult emotions / experiences ! 😄

QuietMagic OP November 16th, 2021

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou

Aw, thanks Sun! 💜 I do hope these posts are of some benefit.

Yeah, I love blankets of any kind, whether mental or physical. 😊

WorriedMagpie July 14th, 2022

I've found recently that I've been doing something very similar if not this exact thing of my own accord.

Finding the names of those feelings is not easy, making those "mental notes", it's taken a while sometimes to truly recognise what the sensation or emotion was - but having a name for it in times of distress makes coping so much easier, I think just having that understanding makes it easier to process in the moment.

Knowing oh yes - this is frustration, or invalidation etc etc makes it easier to forgive myself in the moment and remain calm.

Journalling through this experience helps too I've found, at least for me personally, as I let myself talk about whatever the experience is, I'm finding myself asking questions, why this? Why do I feel this way or that way? - and being able to sit and feel out the answers to those questions is helping.

Again thankyou so much for putting all these together 💚