Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Potential ASPD?

daikoniic November 26th, 2022

I'd like to see a counselor just for the fun of it, since what can they really do if I. quote unquote, unmask? However, I don't want to go in case they diagnose me, because thats a disqualifier for the military here, you know?

SilverSeastar November 28th, 2022

@daikoniic

Hello,

I understand your considerations into seeing/not seeing a counsellor. A diagnosis is a tool to guide us into therapy that will best suit us. Unfortunately, like any other tool, a diagnosis can be misused and do more harm than good. Antisocial personality disorder is treatable, yet the stigma that still surrounds ASPD makes seeking help risky.

It is sad that the current system can "punish" those who seeks diagnoses in order to heal. As if staying silent and going untreated would be better. ๐Ÿ™ However, it is awesome that you have the insight to find support for whatever problem it is that the potential ASPD might be causing you.

I'm not sure what the system is like over there and what resources you have available, but would it be possible to let the counsellor know that you do not want a diagnosis? Perhaps you can let them know about your situation and that you're only looking for insights and/or recommendations. It might also be safer to look for counsellors without any ties to your current/future institutions, just so your records wouldn't go elsewhere. Generally, practitioners need to respect the ethics of confidentiality. Your consent matters.

Where I'm from, we have online health platforms with affordable psychologists and psychiatrists. I can research their profiles before deciding on which one to consult. When talking about personal and sensitive issues, I try to find one that's a complete stranger and far away from where I am. It is also less formal; they don't keep medical records like actual hospitals do, as far as I know. It's much easier to maintain a confidential and professional relationship with the counsellor this way.

I hope this can help. If you decide to see a counsellor, I hope you'll find one that can best support you and keep your records safe. All the best ๐Ÿ’™

daikoniic OP November 28th, 2022

@SilverSeastar Good idea, so far I've had terrible luck with any counselor, usually I have to get a feel of them first before I reveal anything that could potentially come back to bite me, yk? Unfortunately, I can't afford a therapist (yet. i'm working on getting employed) so I have to make do with online forums :')