Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

BPD

pwupselle0214 June 14th

I've been struggling a lot recently with my mental health and I've been suspecting for about 2-3 years that I may have BPD ( i experience symptoms like unclear self image, i impulsively spend money i have, ive engaged in self harm for the past few years, i have constant extreme moods, i believe i have a "favorite person" because i feel like i cant do anything without her near me every singoe second of the day etc, I feel a sense of numbness and emptiness after being fine minutes ago and I've had reoccurent episodes of explosive anger, aswell as me isolating myself every single day despite feeling lonely all the time) but I'm afraid to bring it up to my mother because she has been very dismissive of seeking mental health resources as a whole aswell her being afraid of me getting mental treatment because of potential meds they would put me on because of her own personal experience so I'm really stuck on what to do because my mother currently isn't in a position to help me and I don't think I'm able to seek any therapist or psychiatrist/psychologist sources due to me being a minor

if anybody has any advice or potential help please send it over ( apologies for the long post by the way )

YourVirtualGirl June 23rd

@pwupselle0214

Hi! As someone who was diagnosed with BPD last year, I understand the struggle. My mother was very hesitant to let me get medical treatment for my depression and anxiety because she believed it was addictive or that it changed you completely, based on her own experiences. Personally, I've seen the positive impact that therapy and medication have had on me, and I can say for a fact that it really helps with managing our condition. What changed my mom's opinion was talking directly to the psychologist. They explained the necessity of treatment and sessions, and how it benefited me, which eventually led her to let go of her concerns. Now, she's very supportive. I recommend giving a conversation with her a chance, and perhaps suggesting that you both attend a session together. If that doesn’t seem to help, or if her perspective remains unchanged, I’d suggest seeking support from someone who can, whether it’s a family member or even a friend.