Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I get diagnosed

fishythefish July 18th, 2021

I don't care about treatment and shi, I only want to know what's wrong with me. This issue has been going on for years maybe like 4. My mood swings were always terrible and could start fights with my friends anytime. I'd be clingy in person to the point that it gets annoying at times. I never really had a clear image of myself. I don't know what I'm like. I don't know if I'm bubbly or introverted. Not having a clear image really frustrates me so i try any personality, it took me a few weeks to realize that I've been copying people who I like. I realized i never had a clear image so i try to copy others until it feels right but it never did. Through the months, I've been feeling more hollow.

RainyThoughts July 18th, 2021

Hey just wanted to tell you that we are not permanent beings and we change with environment and circumstances. It’s ok to copy others and look up to them. For example my father loves movies so much that after one movie my father will start quoting characters and acting like his favourite ones for a week until a new movie. Putting yourself in a box with a label will only stop your growth. I personally think it’s always fun to discover new sides of yourself and grow to be a better version of yourself. I not sure about your mood swings, I hope you can get help you need :)

QuietMagic July 23rd, 2021

@fishythefish

That makes sense, sort of like you haven't ever really felt like you know who you are, so you try on different images around you to see if they fit, but none of them feel like they fit perfectly.

Since you're posting in the BPD forum and maybe BPD is something you're considering as a way of understanding of explaining what's happening, I'll mention that "markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self" is one of the symptoms of BPD. (Of course, the usual disclaimer applies that only a medical professional can diagnose a personality disorder. That and I think @RainyThoughts nicely expressed how having a fluid/changing identity can be something pretty normal, natural, and helpful.)