Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Relationship coping techniques

AndreaDawn February 23rd, 2022

Hi all who could be out there. This is my first post so I’m intensely nervous. I’m 26/F and married to a wonderful man. I’m diagnosed BPD but have successfully been off medications with aid of therapist for a couple years, however I had a traumatic event happen in October 2021 which has led to those wonderful feelings of self hate. I’ve started getting to the point it’s difficult to complete my job due to splitting over small things and at it’s the same story. I’m finding myself becoming very defensive and I’m curious to know if anyone else would have some coping strategies to calm the anxiety monster?

QuietMagic February 24th, 2022

@AndreaDawn

Hi, thanks for taking that risk in posting despite the nervousness. 💜

So if I'm understanding, you'd been successful for a while in coping with BPD after a couple years of therapy. But then something traumatic happened a few months ago that has sort of caused a lot of those feelings and challenges to come back.

In terms of general coping strategies, I like this link a lot. It has some anxiety-related tips in there but also some tips for other BPD.
https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/self-care-for-bpd/

I'm wondering if it might be helpful to talk through that traumatic event and the way that it's changed things? It sounds like since that event, relationships have become a lot more difficult and it feels like the world is much more threatening. (And I know at least for me personally, that feeling of danger can make it really difficult to share what I'm experiencing if there's an expectation that anyone I might share with is either going to misunderstand, not care, or say something invalidating/hurtful in response.)

If you ever want to chat with someone, HERE is a list of experienced listener who accept chats on BPD. Alternatively, you're welcome to schedule a chat with me using my booking form HERE.