Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Burnout😭

sensitiveLemon663 August 1st

So I’m new to here and my reason for joining is I am nearly to the point of wanting to give my children up so I googled what to do and I found a webMD article on parental burnout. So I read the 12 steps of parental burnout and each one I read sounded exactly like what I was feeling and thinking and going through and I don’t know what I can do to change things😭😭 I’m exhausted and sad and angry! I love my kids and I hate myself for being this way but I don’t choose it😭 they drive me crazy I have the shortest temper, I feel like I’m drowning in responsibility, I literally have not a single friend, been in an on off toxic relationship for 5 years, have a 4 year old and a 6 year old that are starting school! They are bad… they are disrespectful and unruly and my gramma is ill and I take care of her my kids dads are deadbeats and I don’t know what to do! I’m losing my mind and it’s so complicated to even actually explain the depth of thought that runs through my mind at a million miles an hour constantly anytime I hear even an ounce of silence but I get way overstimulated and angry when there is even a shred of too much noise….. has anyone experienced this?? I cannot get time away from my children I have no help I haven’t even been able to see a dr because I don’t have time and cannot talk to a therapist online because I have no money…. At what point do I give up or break thru

sorry for the long rant I’m just ready to rip my hair out and shove my head through a wall

toughTiger6481 August 1st

@sensitiveLemon663

You are not alone many many go thru this .... it makes it worse with added things like caretaker for grandma and non supportive dad (s). I can tell you it happens even with a dad in picture sometimes.

We all need some me time and you are stretched too thin now.... it is tough to remember they are little kids and nothing they do in being hard to deal with is on purpose. it is hard but you are in charge and set boundaries and look at them and see how they are your greatest treasures... maybe find a moment to do for yourself deep breathing and maybe getting kids to do with you on days you have zero time alone.... 

DancingSongbird579 August 5th

@sensitiveLemon663

So sorry to hear you're going through this. Parenting is challenging, even in the best of times. Single-parenting has to be one of the most difficult things to do. Raising kids is a 24/7 job by itself. Then you add to that being a caregiver for someone else, having a "regular" job (eg. something that pays the bills), managing a household, getting an education, cooking, eating, sleeping, and taking a bit of quiet time for yourself... or whatever combination of those things you attempt to do, in addition to raising kids, you can see right away that it just doesn't work out very well. 

So, no, you are definitely not alone. 

That saying "it takes a village to raise a child" is quite true. Unfortunately, it's hard to find that village in many societies, we just aren't set up that way. We are isolated and all trying to tough it out on our own. And to make matters worse, if you need extra help with kids, childcare is rediculously expensive and many people can't afford it. 

You said your kids start sschool soon? I hope that allows you some extra time to yourself where you can get re-centered. Then hopefully you can be more fully present with your kids when they're around. 

💗

sensitiveLemon663 OP August 5th

Thanks to you both, I am definitely trying to keep my head up some days are easier than other for sure!

Wpdillon August 10th

Yes, I am a single mom to two children. It is tough and normal to get overwhelmed. One thing that has helped me is keeping consistent routines for the children. I also periodically will take them to indoor and outdoor parks so I get a break, and my kids and socialize. It is also a way to meet other parents too.

I am sorry you are going through a difficult time *hugs*