Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ADHD and OCD and cleaning

AttemptingToAdult April 13th, 2017

Cleaning is hit and miss with me because I will not clean consistently unless I set a cleaning day but if I set one I cannot clean on any other day, and If I cannot clean it all at once from start to finish in the order of vacuum, dust, swiffer, toilett, sink, mirror, sink, kitchen counter, trash I will not clean at all and that has been a problem when I forgot to wash my microbfiber dust rags because I could not move on unless I dusted the table so I waited 2hrs for a load of towels to be washed but by the time they were clesn it was 4.01 and once it's past 4.00 I can't clean. Not cleaning consistently wouldn't be a problem if it did look so disorganized, but when I finally decide to clean without an assigned cleaning day I put it off because it's too much to clean and the more I put it off the less I want to do it. But then I accidentally miss my cleaning days too and when I finally manage to not there's so much to do it's overwhelming. So I'm not sure if this goes here or ADHD and any any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Anomalia June 7th, 2017

@AttemptingToAdult - Thanks for opening up about this here! It definitely sounds like an overwhelming situation to be stuck with all of those rules and struggling to make it all work together. In the past, what has helped you to manage it? Are there times that it feels like it has worked better or that things have been more out of hand? If you don't feel you can clean outside of the set times, are there steps that you can take to prepare yourself so that you are able to in those times (like having the materials ready, etc.)?

With regards to potentially breaking down some of those rules to overcome them in the future, would it be helpful to test them a little? What would happen if you let yourself clean just one minute past 4?