Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is hoarding considered an OCD diagnosis? Or anxiety?

Sedtzl December 12th, 2023

Both of parents have level 4 and 5. I’m a one.

looking for resources for them

toughTiger6481 December 17th, 2023

@Sedtzl

I looked this up and found this 

While hoarding disorder is classified as being part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) spectrum, which is an anxiety disorder, hoarding disorder is a distinct condition.

Previously, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the standard classification of mental disorders produced by the American Psychiatric Association, classified hoarding as a subtype of OCD.

However, healthcare providers were encountering people with hoarding behaviors who didn’t have any other mental health conditions. After more research, hoarding disorder was included as an isolated condition, in the OCD spectrum, in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V), which is the most recent edition.

Yfgaex February 4th

I found this:

If you or a loved one has symptoms of hoarding disorder, talk with a health care provider or a mental health provider with expertise in diagnosing and treating hoarding disorder as soon as possible. Some communities have agencies that help with hoarding problems. Check with the local or county government for resources in your area.