Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Having trouble with OCD and school/grades. Is anyone else?

DitaBear June 15th

Recently, I had broken a streak of perfect scores in my current 4-week class.  I know school and success in life in general are not/should not be about being "perfect", but I have to admit, it bugged me that I missed one question on my last exam.  In addition to this, I can't retake it and it was an open book test; the answer was in an area that I had highlighted and looked at a few times but somehow still missed it.  Because of the latter, I can't help but feel like a dunce.  It makes me wonder if other people in my class did the same thing or if they got it right away.  Though also in my defense, the phrasing of the answer on the test was a bit different enough from how the book wrote it that it could be have been easily misinterpreted as a wrong answer (which is what happened to me).

Do other people struggle with these feelings?  How do you deal with them?  I feel embarrassed in multiple ways right now.  I know I should be happy that I passed the test no matter what the score is and I also know there's bigger things going on in my life than having a perfect-looking report card.  But I can't help but ruminate and I hate doing so.  I don't want it to discourage me from the rest of my school year as this is my first class and semester, and I am really do want this degree because I think it would be a good career for me.

JerryYao June 26th

@DitaBear As once being a high school student, I completely understand how grades may affect one's mood. What you have to remember is that grades and GPA is not the only thing throughout your school life, and it is only a small part of the college application. It is necessary to take it seriously, but if you really feel that you aren't able to reach a full A in some cources, you can choose to give it up. After all, sometimes what you think matters now is not even a factor to your life looking backwards. In any case, hope you have a good grade list, and enjoy your school life. 

DitaBear OP June 26th

@JerryYao Thank you so much and what you said is true; grades don't really matter in the long-term.  Real life is dependent on things besides how good the numbers and letters look 😄

JerryYao July 4th

@DitaBear True Dude. My parents once blamed me for my B in AP Calculus BC, but after a few years it turned out that the B doesn't have anything to do with my life. Honestly, with this kind of thoughts, life can be much happier and positive. I have had classmates depressed for being bad in academy.