Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Picking at the skin around my fingernails

fernandezmorgan1992 October 24th, 2015

I like to pick at the skin around my fingernails when I'm nervous or sad. I do it until I bleed and even eat the skin. Can this be considered as self harm?

Itsacrazylifewelive October 24th, 2015

I think this is a form of self harm if you are doing it to the point that you are causing yourself to bleed. I used to do the same thing and now I do it less but that's only because I've been directing my stress and anxiety towards other things. That may help you?

fernandezmorgan1992 OP October 24th, 2015

Directing it towards what?

kikishelton October 24th, 2015

i pick at the skin around my fingers too, and ive never met anyone who does the same. mine is more of an anxiety tick- but i do do it to the point where i bleed but never to i try and make them bleed on purpose really? ive also never thought of it being a form of self harm too:/

YayyySphere October 24th, 2015

Yeah that's definitely considered self-harming, as long as it is a deliberate injury to yourself. sad I think that it would be important to solve the roots of it- your sadness or when you are nervous, by reducing the frequency of these feelings, or at the very least, help to control your skin plucking. This is a thread, which consists of information which you could use to help yourself. smiley Feel free to drop me a message, or connect with any of our lovely listeners here if you would like to let us help you more. laugh

kikishelton October 24th, 2015

i see..thank you very much for the advice, i will try and focus more on controlling and regulating the urges to pick at my fingers:)

mimameid October 24th, 2015

I've peen picking at the skin around my fingernails for years. It's not as bad as it used to be, but can still get pretty ugly when I get incredibly anxious. Yes, this type of condition is a form of self-harm, but it is more associated with anxiety disorders and stress than anything else, especially if it feels like more of a compulsion.

I've tried a few things to keep me from picking, such as placing small band aids around the places I pick most at (which for me are my thumbs) to discourage picking. I also try to just keep my hands busy in general when I am feeling an urge, such as typing, cleaning, writing, etc.

If you haven't already tried it, there are medications out there to help with this certain thing, although I am unfamiliar with the names of them. I would talk to a professional about it if you are having extreme problems with it or if it is keeping you from completing day to day tasks.

Hope that helps some! You're definitely not alone with this problem. Take care.

kristase October 24th, 2015

I do this too. I also self-harm. To me they're separate. I pick the skin around my fingers as a nervous habit. I self-harm when I'm so wound up or upset that I literally can't think to do anything else. I think it depends on what your mindset is when you're doing it. Are you trying to hurt yourself, or are you just doing it mindlessly?

chillsunshinee December 23rd, 2015

Ive been doing that for 7 years.. i like to considr it as self harm as you are harming your body. but mine has gotten to my feet too and i now use a knife.....

chillsunshinee December 23rd, 2015

@chillsunshinee but i have also cut when im angry.. when m anxious i do pick