Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Overcame some stuff

BeBrave13 November 23rd, 2014

I won't say too much but right now I am 3 years and a month self harm free, I am 6 years hospitalisationand suicide attempt free, I'm almost a year free of depersonalisationand derealisation, and I don't even know how long eating disorder free. I still have my struggles but I've also achieved a lot with overcoming this stuff, which I never thought would even be possible. I hope this gives some hope to others. If I can beat it anyone can!

smileforawhile November 23rd, 2014

That's amazing. You're awesome. You're an extremely strong individual. I'm so so proud of you for overcoming such challenging things. I hope you're doing well! :)

BeBrave13 OP November 24th, 2014

Thank you so much, that really means a lot. I've been told so much negative stuff about myself lately, it's hard to keep going at times but I have no other choice. It's really nice to be acknowledged for this.smiley

I actually feel like I've gotten my life back. I lived in constant fear of these unreal feelings for years. And I was a slave to the cutting and starving addictions. I feel so free now to do what I want when I want without being terrified of it all.

smileforawhile November 24th, 2014

Well, for what it's worth, I believe you are an amazing and strong individual who was the power and ability to overcome everything and anything. You have demonstrated great strength and I hope you're proud of youself! You have the power to keep going and I know you can. You got this! :)

Aww you're so kind. I hope I can be brave like my name.

I think you have already shown great bravery! Being able to share what you have been through is definitely being brave!

Well you're amazing too!

Oh, stop! Thank you. :)

sr42421 November 24th, 2014

Congratulations to you!! I have gone through some of this stuff, too, & it's a beast. I am 7 years away from hospitalization. I am not actively self-harming, but I do still struggle with things a lot, & I do still have urges that come & go with situational stress & triggers. Lately, I have been having a lot of both, & have had some terrible urges. :(. I have not acted out, though. **Just breathe...** Depersonalization is a beast I am still currently fighting, on & off. I guess maybe I will always have to fight this?? I have found that these days it is mostly situational as well, though, which is better than it was before. Now, if I can just find a way to cope with all the situational stuff... =/.

Thank you! I'm so sorry you're going through some of this too but I think you're doing well to overcome even some of it. The way I got over the derealisationwas to just stop thinking of it. I know it sounds simple and it is and it isn't but it actually worked. The more you think of it the more it feeds the anxiety and it just gets worse. It was hard at first not to think of it when I went to certain places it always happened in.

the other thing that helped was meeting a new doctor who understood. I'm not saying she ever experienced it cos I don't know, but she just seemed to get it, you know? And that helped so much cos no one I'd ever met before did. She also told me that although it's uncomfortable and unpleasant, it can't actually harm or kill you. So I just kept reminding myself of that. I literally haven't had it happen once this year, which is amazing. The thing is that even when I wasn't actually feeling unreal, I was so worried and terrified that it would start again, that I never had a moments peace in my mind.

another thing that kept me going was to focus on the times when it wasn't there and when you felt ok. I still remember one particular night, and it might sound silly, but I was say with my parents watching American idol, but it was like one night that I felt good and enjoyed myself, so I'd just think of that when it was there again and it re minded me that I can still have good times. It maybe sounds weird but it helped me.

i really feel for you and hope you get through all this too. Thank you for your reply and best of luck.

AmandaToole January 28th, 2015

How did u cure depersonalization??