Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Moving on in everyday life

Lovrotte1211 March 30th

Hi everyone!

Something I've noticed about myself recently is that when I'm studying or going down my checklist of things to do for the day or even when I'm doing homework, I have a really hard time taking my mind off the previous task/question even as I prepare to do the next one! 

I've realised that this might be the root of my very quick mental fatigue. Every time I do a task, my mind and my heart are still in the previous one, still thinking about it, still trying to perfect it, still worrying about it. It really carries over a burdensome, stressful load to the next task, and the next, and the next, until it accumulates and overwhelms me!

I have tried taking breaks, but once I get back to it, all of the stress from the last one comes rushing right back. This is especially if the next task/question is linked to previous ones and I have to look back or review. When I do that, the emotions come with it. 

What are some ways you guys let go and move on in every day life? How can I learn this skill?

Thanks!

F0RY0U April 1st

Certainly! Here are simplified strategies for letting go and moving on between tasks:

1. Mindfulness: Practice focusing on the present moment.
  2. Transition Rituals: Develop routines to signal moving from one task to the next.
  3. Set Time Limits: Stick to specific timeframes for each task.
  4. Physical Cues: Use actions like closing a notebook to mark task completion.
  5. Self-Compassion: Accept imperfection and be kind to yourself.
  6. Scheduled Review: Allocate specific times for reviewing past tasks.
  7. Exercise: Take short breaks for physical activity to clear your mind.
  8. Gratitude: Reflect on what you've achieved rather than what's left to do.

Practice these simple techniques to help ease the transition between tasks and reduce mental

sincerePlane4053 April 1st

@Lovrotte1211 Hi there, I can definitely understand what it means to be stuck on a previous task that you have already completed, and going back to it once you have completed it. Normally what I do is that once I submit it, I do not look back at the assignment for a couple years. I always save it and then go back and re-read it to see my personal growth of writing or intelligence and then improve back on new assignments. One assignment is just that assignment in the moment, there will always be another to work on! And this is a good thing because you will get to grow as you complete more and more assignments with possibly more and more detail.

Another thing to think about is that, you are correct, moving on is a skill, but it is also a characteristic. You can grow this character and skill, but should also have patience with yourself because everyone moves on from things at a different time, which is natural. Try not to be too hard on yourself! Think about the new task as a new opportunity and then reflect on your previous tasks in the future when you feel you are ready to go back and look at them.

E