Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cornerstone habit

calypteanna April 20th, 2020

Hi all,

This is an idea I've been batting around in my head for a little while. I'd like to hear some thoughts on it, and maybe it will be something others here would like to try (or develop further).

Mindfulness is difficult for me - it is very easy to dissassociate, get lost in thought, and not pay attention to my surroundings (or rather, actively avoid them). I become overwhelmed by thoughts of the future, of what life might demand from me.

Recently, I've made an effort to develop healthy habits. Because it is so hard for me to maintain a habit, I tried something a bit different with it. I'm going to call it a cornerstone habit.

The cornerstone habit is a very simple, quick, and accessible activity that I can build all my other habits around. It is so easy, that even on my worst days, I can usually overcome the inertia - and if that is all I do, I consider it a point towards resilence. The funny thing, though, is in practice, very rarely will it be the only thing I do.

These are the features of my cornerstone habit: 1) easy and accessible 2) done in less than two minutes 3) makes me feel good 4) is good for my body and calls attention to it 5) invoked by a simple call to act 6) can be coupled with additional behaviors and habits 7) trackable

The habit is to wash my face, twice a day. Whenever I wake up, and feel like I can't get out of bed, I invoke, "wash your face" and it gets me out of bed. I feel the hot water drawing warmth into my skin, and everything changes. I check a box that says I washed my face that day, which helps reinforce the habit.

After 'mastering' wash my face, I moisturize my face, then after that, getting dressed and taking care of my hair. Check check. I am suddenly present again, in control. It seems almost silly - everyone does this daily. Yet, I don't treat it flippantly. When I wash my face, it is like I haven't washed my face ever before, like it is the first time I've experienced that relief. It is a habit with a special meaning to me, and that is what makes it different and keeps me grounded. It sets a foundation.

Do you have a cornerstone habit? What it is it, if you do? If you don't, if this is something you might benefit from, can you think of a habit that could do this for you? What would it be?

It has been so effective, I wanted to share this idea in case it can help others struggling with motivation, anxiety, depression, or simply with staying present. It might be reinventing the wheel, but it is what it is, haha.

YoungPonderer111 June 22nd, 2020

@calypteanna this is great, there's an awesome ted talk on this habit setting strategy as well. I'll try to attach the link

GreatestClassiest April 21st, 2020

Thank you