Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I come out to my family, especially some of the more homophobic members?

Phr0gg13 November 10th, 2023

I've been wanting to come out to my parents and family for a while now. I'm honestly surprised that the members of my family, especially one of my older brothers who's well aware of the different meanings, have noticed or said anything. I say I'm surprised because of the big trans flag in my room, the fact I bought a binder [although it was too small,] and other minor details. I'm very nervous about coming out to them, especially because my stepfather and one of my brothers make very homophobic/transphobic remarks. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do in this situation?

toughTiger6481 November 11th, 2023

@Phr0gg13

It is never one size fits all situation .... we cannot predict the reaction that might  happen good or bad.... 

i will say  when my child came out ........ while his dad had in past made some inappropriate jokes or statements he was fine with it and already knew. 

almost everyone  know without clues and will not be as surprised as you may think.  the exact words of my spouse to our child is "yeah i kinda already figured that out..." 

They may not say something to you about already being aware as they want you to have the chance to speak up.