Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Realizing I'm (36f) gay and in a long term relationship/marriage with a man

Stepeoples December 27th, 2023

I've known I am (at least) bi my whole life. However, I've recently realized that I am a lesbian. I've been with my husband for most of my adult life and I'm finally admitting I'm not sexually attracted to him. I love him and we have built a wonderful life together but it's because I've repressed my sexuality and desire. Now I'm processing and trying to figure out how to move forward in my life.

Gettingbettertoday January 3rd

@Stepeoples

I am not sure how old my mother was when she came out. She grew up in the 50's where she was expected to get married after highschool and have kids, so she did. This of course didn't work in the long run and the marriage failed. My parents separated and my mother started dating, Men at first but i think she realized that she was not being true to herself and eventually had a friend that hung around until one night she was staying over. I personally didn't like this woman because she was a perfectionist that found flaw in everything you do. It made my mother happy so i let it be. 

GrumpyVegan01 April 13th

@Stepeoples

hello! I’m going through the same issues. Have you tried opening up this discussion with your husband? Do you feel safe to do so?

In same boat here too

confusedsubmark April 29th

@Stepeoples if you need a friend to talk to, feel free to reach out. I've been going through something similar.

bestKite8488 June 26th

@Stepeoples  Going through the same situation.  I think there are probably many like us.  You will find it is hard to meet other women like us.  Women tend to hide from each other - unless they choose to come out to you, which is rare.  Another problem is that lesbians will not like the fact that you are married.  In other words it is not a good situation to be in.  You would think that lots of women need love but they won't show it.  I myself am going to start LGBT therapy next week, to help me deal with it.