Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My gender is completely broken

TheChaotic1 September 1st

Hey, so I'm genderfluid and I kinda hate it. I go between hating my body because I'm too feminine, then hating it because I'm not feminine enough. And I constantly want to change the name I go by, if I could find ONE that worked for all the genders, I'd be okay. 

It's just a bit frustrating

Aayla September 1st
@TheChaotic1 I'm sorry about this. While it's hard to find a permanent solution that works all the time, you might try to make some adjustments. For example, you can equip yourself with clothes that enhance or disguise certain forms of your body, so according to how you feel you can wear one type of clothes or the other. And you might look for a gender neutral name, I know some language don't have many of those, but there a few in English to look up. I'm sure the non binary community could give you better support, though, I'm cisgender myself so I might not fully understand how you feel.
Best of luck with finding solutions that work for you, though! 
R3M11 September 2nd

@TheChaotic1 sounds tough, I'm going through something similar myself.. I just wanna look truly androgynous, y'know? And I get mad at myself when I look too feminine or something.. and I also understand the whole name ordeal. I wanted to change my name for years, even before I figured out my gender. I just never thought it fit, well, me. I still don't think my name fits me entirely, but I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with Remi because of it being gender neutral, so no matter how I'm feeling it still works! Something else that helped me with choosing names was looking up gender neutral or nonbinary name ideas on Pinterest or YouTube, especially when they have their meanings with them. But I know some nonbinary people who chose names that are objects or actions, my 2nd name that I use is actually riot, even if it's not a name I still feel comfortable with it being my name. I wish I could just magically make you not confused anymore, but I hope that at least this makes sense and that it helps:3

RobinGoodfella September 2nd

You absolutely have the right to choose a name that is yours, not a bequest from your parents. There are more options than you might think: You could go by a surname, and most of those are derived from trades rather than gender roles. I've known two different gender-queer folks who simply went by "Red", so some adjective like that which describes your appearance or your soul could work. (A single letter could also work, as with "V" in Cyberpunk 2077) And of course there *are* gender-neutral names -- it's not coincidence that I go by "Robin" even though I *currently* tend to only present as masc.

For understanding friends, you could also have multiple names, that reflect your day-to-day variations. You could, for example, be Tina when presenting feminine, Tony when presenting masc, and T when it's too much trouble to be either.

But the only real recommendation I have is to not limit yourself, and to give yourself time to choose what works for you.

IsaSilver 12 hours ago

Hi Chaotic,

I actually thought about a movie some years ago called Ladybird, which talks about a young teen who goes by Ladybird as a name. She's quite a free spirit and I find it an inspiring way to be unapologetically yourself by claiming a name you truly identify with. I hope you can find that special name that works for you and show the world who you are!~ woohoo!~