Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Social media

imaginativePear6493 January 3rd, 2022

In the age of social media, when self expression and outrageous behaviour is normalized, eaven by athletes and celebs, why is it when someone does it and it reflects badly on an organisation or doesn't suit someone's image it becomes a mental health issue?

Anyone care to help me out? I don't get ths?

Why is it normal when you want it to be but when you don't want it, it's a mental health problem?

I'm not speaking about myself

This is not an original idea. But can anyone help?

VioletSpringGlade January 20th, 2022

@imaginativePear6493

Hello Pear,

Interesting topic! Social psychology has some theories to explain this. When we (or an organisation we are connected to or like) feel threatened then we tend to blame the outsider. And we are very quick to judge others mental health as 'wrong', rather than look with empathy. I think this is a self-protective mechanism. If we look with genuine empathy we will probably see that we have the capacity for the same behaviour, which is discomforting! And also habit we learned from our parents.

Have I understood you correctly? 🤗

imaginativePear6493 OP January 20th, 2022

@VioletSpringGlade

I'm not the smartest person but I think you may have got it. Plain English suits me better.

I just get upset when people turn on each other after so long, then it's a health issue when before hand everything was ok eaven tho the behavior was the same.

Example. Someone being loud, doing stuff that may offend some people or saying what they think (not hate speech)

It's just at that time it didn't suit someone eaven though the behavior was no worse then before

THEN saying that person has a mental health issue without any clinical facts. I'm not saying it's not possible but at the time it was totally speculate

It can be triggering and create mistust or eaven anger