Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hobbies?

powerfulPlum3916 November 1st, 2023

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions with finding a hobby with adhd? I’ve tried reading, drawing, painting but can’t seem to concentrate/stay interested.. or any tips?

AnalystINTJ November 1st, 2023

Hello @powerfulPlum3916 :)

I believe the tips are to find something you enjoy & manageable.

You may like to consider dancing indoors alone or
hiking with someone or with a group of friends etc.

For your reference. :)

powerfulPlum3916 OP November 1st, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to response! Has definitely opened my options into hobbies I never thought of, definitely will be giving a try!

SomebodySpicy13 November 1st, 2023

Hi Plum, finding a hobby whilst having ADHD can be difficult, and there's no harm in going through a few different hobbies at a time. Here are some suggestions of things that I have personally tried and liked 

1) Crochet - I find this to be very relaxing and once you know the basics, you will find that a lot of the patterns are just repeats of the stitches you already know 

2) Colouring - people often assume colouring is just for kids, but I'm here to tell you that's not the case. There are plenty of colouring books aimed at adults that you may enjoy 

3) Scrapbooking/journalling - it doesn't have to be on anything in particular, fill a whole page with fun stickers if you like, whatever makes you happy 

4) Researching - not so sure this is a hobby, but you can research about hobbies. It gives you a great opportunity to hyperfocus if you find the topic interesting. Then you can make documents of your findings and info dump if you like 

I hope these suggestions can prove useful to you and you find a hobby soon. Best of luck! 

VahMedoh01 December 2nd, 2023

Learning to code might be a good hobby, there are many different programming languages to choose from. It can be challenging at times but with some work and practice it gets easier! And the outputs (depending on which language you're studying) are really interesting and pretty cool.

violentandtiredpeach234 December 2nd, 2023

sports are pretty good if you’re an active person. There’s no way you can get distracted because all you’re thinking about is strategies on how to win! Lol. If you do get distracted, it’s really not that bad because you don’t really need to use your mind much, just keep those legs moving!

kiwi404 December 2nd, 2023

Table tennis🏓 philosophy 💬 films and series 🎥 reading comics 📖

* Table tennis - hard to find a table and a partner, but once you do, it becomes addictive. Even as a beginner.

* Philosophy - YouTube or some books where it's explained in simple words, like "Sophie's World" for example.

* Movies - There's a nice platform for movie recommendations and ratings, called "letterboxd". Also, a great platform for classic and alternative films is "Mubi". I suggest taking a look at some a bit different than Hollywood produced. You'd be amazed :)

ShiningPanda13 December 4th, 2023

Hi, I have ADHD and found that I quickly burn through new hobbies, but what I ALWAYS like is learning. Trying to stick with any one thing is difficult so I try to limit my purchases and not go searching for new activities if I do like something I've found. I tend to like or loop back around to things I liked when I was a little girl BUT I had to actually get better at focusing long enough to read and color. Once I did, I could enjoy those things, too. Of course now I have several books of both types in progress but whatever lol.

etherealize December 5th, 2023

Hihi Plum! A strategy I’ve learned to stay focused when doing something is doing two things at once! For example listening to music or watching tv in the background while doing something else like art!