Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question, is This Coping Mechanism Healthy?

BumbleKitty October 7th, 2022

When I'm really upset, I start to play movies in my head, but they are always violent, and I can't stop doing it despite my hatred for violence or negativity. It does sort of make me feel better, but I don't know if this is the best way to cope. Should I stop doing this?

anxietywarrior23 October 8th, 2022

@BumbleKitty

hmm. good question. I am honestly not sure. maybe ask a friend. as long as it isn't hurting you I think it is ok but I would ask a professional.

October 8th, 2022

@BumbleKitty Hi. I think this is probably something that shouldn’t give you a lot of concern. You might want to notice more subtle but actual manifestation, like if your anger spills out, perhaps in harsh words - even if it is well deserved. On the other hand, that can protect you, if say some is being physically threatening, a show of anger can make a person think twice. But even then, you want to try to avoid any kind of confrontation if possible. So, now to the violent fantasy scenario. If your anger prompts some movie in your head and afterward you “leave the theatre and go home,” I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. If you stay in the theatre and watch the movie over and over, and it becomes obsessive, then maybe it is something to address. I don’t like anger and violence either, but there are many times I let my imagination kick the cr@p out of someone. I usually “come out of the theatre” feeling a bit satisfied, justice was done. But I think I always ask myself after, what do I want in the real world, and the answer is usually that there is enough to keep my attention on that is about what is good for me and the people around me. I don’t think you should suppress your imagination and it sounds like you’re well aware that it is different than you’re values.

— Make some popcorn, enjoy the show, watch something PG once in awhile too

sunnyWriting4806 October 8th, 2022

@BumbleKitty

I think as long as it doesn't set you up for negative ideations or cause you to display hurtful actions it may be fine as a coping mechanism. However, I think it would be beneficial to ask the people around your life or a professional as they may be able to notice things that may be maladaptive to you, that you may not personally see at first.