Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A different kind of grief and loss…

proactiveSea7692 September 26th, 2023

A number of years ago, I was really struggling and I was going through what was the most difficult time in my life thus far. During an appointment with my psychiatrist I had been describing some very heavy feelings I had to her. She said something to me, that validated how I was feeling perfectly. She said, “Stacey, some of the hardest grieving one may ever have to do in their lifetime, is grieving the loss of people in our lives, who are still very much alive”. Her words made complete sense of what I was feeling then and still do.

Tinywhisper11 September 26th, 2023

@proactiveSea7692 yeah! As they say friends come and go. We grow we change, loose contact with people we love along the path of life ❤❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤ I hope your doing ok

proactiveSea7692 OP October 17th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11

thanks for your support! If it was a matter of accepting thst friends come and go in our lives, I know that I could manage my feelings around that…but to add some co text to my post, I was referring to managing the grief that comes with no longer having a relationship with my parents and adult sibling who are still alive. I live in a small town, where I frequently see them around town, but it’s been 8 years now since there has been no communication of any sort. I thought it would get easier but it seems that it’s only gotten more difficult and it’s affected my self worth on a debilitating level.

Tinywhisper11 October 18th, 2023

@proactiveSea7692 oh wow! 😥 I'm so sorry. That must be so hard. It's hard to understand peoples actions sometimes, but they are the ones who will loose, will miss out on you. Your are not at fault. But it must be incredibly hard for you😞 my arms are always open to hug you ❤ and we are all here for you sweetie ❤

@vroomvrooom

thanks for your comment and concern. I hope one day I’ll be able to say I’m doing better….I’m far from there yet.

toughTiger6481 September 26th, 2023

@proactiveSea7692

Very good quote from your Dr. I find that to be spot on.

yellowMap8006 September 26th, 2023

@proactiveSea7692

this post really spoke to me. i've been through the same thing and I felt like I was "missing" this person so much, but it lasted for years and I realize it is more akin to mourning. Its very difficult because you know that they are going on with their lives and there is no finality, no grave or place to mourn. I've driven hundreds of miles just to be near that person or where they once lived. But not being able to see them. Its awful and I just wanted you to know you're not the only one to have to go through this.

@yellowMap8006

sorry for your pain and that you can even relate to this kind of grief. It’s so mentally exhausting and it affects a person right down to their self worth. I just hope to find peace and I wish the same for you.

Sunrise110 September 26th, 2023

So very true!

cyanPlatypus6370 October 18th, 2023

Hi Sea, I relate very well to what you are saying here.  I'm dealing with a section of ambiguous loss myself right now - so far "dealing with" it alone.  This relationship I'm thinking of has lots of ties to October as both myself and my 'former?' friend have our birthdays in October.  It brings up conflicting and sometimes confusing emotions. 

There is an article here, (another page in 7cups) that you might find helpful. :)  Take good care of you, @proactiveSea7692 

<3 Platy 

BismaKanwal October 18th, 2023

@proactiveSea7692 that was a very good quote! thankyou for sharing it with us.