Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

family doesn't support therapy

Luca0 May 9th, 2016

I live with my mom and grandma. They get quiet whenever I talk to them about me going to therapy and seeking help for depression and anxiety. They get dismissive about it whenever I talk about what I'm going through, and neither of them are willing to support me financially when it comes to getting treatment (being jobless, that feels like a punch in the gut). It's like they don't care or want to acknowledge that I'm going through stuff and just trying to get to feeling better. I know my mom doesn't put any faith in psychiatry after I was taken off several meds for ADD/ADHD when I was a kid because the amount of meds (3 a day) and the side effects turned me into a zombie. Now she thinks all mental health professionals are just out to get your money, but I don't believe that. My grandma said she just doesn't like the idea of me being on a lot of meds (I'm already on several meds for acne and other things, none psychiatric), but she and my mom seem to think I don't need treatment and that I'm just fine when I keep saying I'm not. I don't know why they won't just support me.

LunaRose May 9th, 2016

@Luca0 Hi Luca, unfortunately, I don't think I can private message you because you are an adult. However, I want you to know that your circumstances are not THAT rare...many families are not always supportive of their loved ones getting the help they need because of the stigma behind therapy. This can be difficult because you could do with the support from those around you whilst you heal. I empathise with your situation and get the same reaction from most people in m own family. Please know that if therapy is what you feel is best for you, then you deserve to go ahead with it and heal. Maybe you could talk with your family and tell them more the positives, like why it would be advantageous for you?

Stay strong,

@LunaRose