Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Shyness is ruining my relationships

niceWatermelon555 October 13th, 2023

There is this guy at work who would flirt really hard (it was totally inappropriate) and I began to REALLY like him. 

Unfortunately for me the more I like someone, the more I clam up, act reserved and serious, and just am not myself.

He has backed off now and it really hurts. I have very strong feelings for him but it seems the spark has died a little. I don't know if it's because he thought I wasn't interested or if he himself lost interest. 😥

I don't know why it's so hard for me to be my authentic self, but I just lack self confidence in this way.

The last time I saw him he did give me a hug, but I hugged him the wrong way (with crossed arms, like you hug a friend) and he patted my back (also like a friend hug). 

Is there any way to get back to where we were? I am really hurting because I feel like I screwed up a good thing because I lack confidence.

Also, I will mention that he has been seeming a bit sad and disengaged recently. I told him I was a bit worried about him and he said he's been having some personal problems. (I don't know what they are.) I just thought I should mention that in case that changes your advice at all.

toughTiger6481 October 13th, 2023

@niceWatermelon555

He made strong attempts big flirting and you did not respond being shy maybe because was you were both at work.... tell him that.  Speak up and say "hey i am interested was not sure how to respond and now think i gave you the wrong impression. "

the answers are often direct and not playing the  what did a hug mean?  am i in the friend zone ?  etc. He may have pulled away thinking your response meant something else.