Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Socially Incompetent

smiles005 July 6th

Hi,

I am socially incompetent. I think I have ADHD and social anxiety but I’m not 100% sure. I keep getting told by my family and others, that I am selfish, and I really want to fix that, but I don’t know how. my friends have also told me I’m emotionally draining or tiring and I really want to fix that too. but again, I don’t know how. even my best friend says that and she does like hanging out with me. She just also needs a pretty big break and she’s an extrovert. I’m also terrified of everyone leaving if I say the wrong thing or annoy them. Friends of also told me that I am annoying them, especially because of how clingy I am. I think I probably need reassurance but I really don’t want to ask for it because that would be annoying and what if they say they don’t want to be there. I’m also terrible at social cues and never say the right thing or do the right thing, but I’m incredibly observant and tend to notice things I guess no one ever does, which weirds them out because of how much I know. I’m a very fairy touch oriented person. I also frequently overthink things. I never know if what I’m doing is too much or too little. I know I’m doing these things, but people won’t tell me what I’m doing wrong to be nice or because they don’t want to offend me, but it’s also hurting relationships. I really need advice on improving my friendships and would like to stop being such a burden.

toughTiger6481 July 14th

@smiles005

It is hard to change your behavior when you are doing what comes natural I too notice odd or small things others miss and yes some feel weird that i noticed and they missed it.... 

Being clingy or asking for reassurance does wear on some people so I try to hold back for example apologizing for any misstep or asking people more then once for clarifications. At a certain point we need to realize we cannot please everyone .... and you do not need to keep trying to please all... being a friend should not be that much work and your friend should understand that is just a way you are and accept even small things that may seem clingy or whatever.