Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Caregiver for Mom and brother

I just wanted to share my story. I'm 20 and my mom has been living with multiple sclerosis for 12 years. It's been deteriorating gradually and she needs me here as a full time caregiver. It's random, some days she's fine others she can't get out of bed without help.

My dad is very authoritarian and has all but mandated me to be her caregiver. We have looked at assisted living options and we cannot afford them near here. The state one is hundreds of miles away. Plus she doesn't always need it yet. So I feel like I have to assume this role. 

As if that wasn't enough, my brother has severe autism and needs his own type of care and supervision which my mom and I share. 

I just feel alone and stressed out a lot. My dad works away from home most of week. So each week is this cycle of worrying about him coming home, making sure there's nothing he's going to go off on me about, acting perfect when he's here, and relaxing as soon as he leaves. I've been making progress on not self harming or skipping meals. But I just struggle with managing emotions. 

That's all I just wanted to get it off my chest. Thank you 

CheeryMango April 24th

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you're carrying a heavy load, being a caregiver for both your mom with multiple sclerosis and your brother with severe autism, all while dealing with the pressure from your authoritarian father. It's completely understandable that you would feel overwhelmed and stressed out. Being a caregiver is a huge responsibility, and it's okay to feel the weight of that responsibility. It's important to prioritize your own well-being too, though it can be challenging when you have so many demands on your time and energy. Remember, it's okay to ask for help. Whether it's reaching out to friends, family members, or seeking support from a therapist or counselor, having someone to talk to and lean on can make a big difference. Taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of your mom and brother. Find small ways to carve out time for yourself, even if it's just a few minutes of quiet time to recharge. You're doing an incredible job, even on the days when it feels like too much. Keep taking things one day at a time, and know that you're not alone. There are people who care and want to support you through this journey.