Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my brother

smolstrawberries July 15th, 2023

Recently my brother has told me he has been feeling very depressed and having lots of negative feelings about himself and i’m not sure how to help. he isn’t the greatest at being open so he didn’t tell me all of the details, but i’m stressed out cause i don’t know what to do. i’ve been giving him lots of support and love, i just don’t know if that is enough and i’m starting to feel guilty and like i’m a bad sister cause i didn’t notice this earlier

SolarGenerator July 16th, 2023

@smolstrawberries You want to help your sibling but there is uncertainty in how to help. You are giving him support and love, which is probably what you would want.

For some men to open up, there are certain requirements that can be met.

Sparklingdiamonds July 17th, 2023

@smolstrawberries

Strawberries if you are concerned enough about him to be going out of your way to give him extra support and love then you definitely are not a bad sister. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out how you can be a help to someone but if you are on the lookout you can see little things that stress someone and you can help by removing those little things or changing something about them. You can also see if it's possible to spend more quality time with your bro, he needs someone right now who is understanding patient and loving. If you can find some extra time to do something together a good couple of times a week, I'd say go for it and you may even win his confidence in you. It never hurts to get someone to sit down like with a snack start by talking lightly then outright get to the point and ask them exactly what is the matter and how you could be the best of a help to them. Sending some support and joy your way ❤️

passionatePeach2321 July 17th, 2023

@smolstrawberries

I would try to get him to open up, respectfully support him on talking about his feelings

BastianLatte July 17th, 2023

@smolstrawberries the only person that knows what is happening is him, so is difficult to notice sometimes. The fact he just told you is more helpful than you can imagine. Support and love is enough. Yet is a process that requires time for him to recover and profesional help is required.

reliableWest8997 July 19th, 2023

HI

Just want to let you know it's not your fault. People who are depressed sometimes cannot really be helped entirely because there's something faulty going on with them. I speak from experience, I went through a period of closing myself off from other people because of something that happened to me. It actually had nothing to do with others so I just wanted you to know that. Also what may happen, in my case, some people get paranoid and afraid of bothering others, they feel like a burden because they feel horrible about themselves, but it's not your fault.

Just try to be there for him, like when he reaches out to you, if he does, or be his friend in some way. You don't have to talk about anything, just suggest going out, if you are near him, try checking up on him consistently, even if he doesn't answer all the time. Start accepting that he might have a problem you cannot help him with entirely. If it get really bad to where his life is in danger or he is self-destructing, try meeting up with him and seeing what is going on in person. Check on him and make sure everything is ok, then maybe try getting him some professional help. In time, he might get better with enough support, medication, therapy etc. if required.

I hope this was helpful