Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cancer sucks

Afb2007 August 4th

my dad has cancer so a lot of responsibility has fallen on me. My mom is so stressed and my brother isn’t helpful at all (he’s twelve but still). My dad has been having a hard time lately. I am only 16 and feel so scared by the future. Things aren’t looking good for the future. Everyday the whole house feels so depressing. I miss what life used to be like before the diagnosis two years ago. Does anyone have any advice for balancing my anxiety and depression about this with my life at school and sports?

toughTiger6481 August 4th

@Afb2007

Any bad illness and the big C is one of those can suck all the hope fun and laughter out of a place. It is stressful and sucks.... Hope is hard to come by some days... 

While it is difficult to do i think trying to be positive is OK ... and may in the big picture help ... laughter and smiles and what  ifs are positives even in the face of an unknown future...... the endorphins of positive and optimism are good....

Letting go while at school or out is OK too anything that gives your mind a break of worry is not wrong or selfish but can be helpful ..... you need a bit of self care too especially in a situation like your experiencing 

Listeningyoualwayz August 9th

@Afb2007

I went through a similar experience when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It was a huge shock for all of us, and our home fell into an uncomfortable silence. We hardly spoke to each other.

I'm not sure what stage your dad’s cancer has been diagnosed, but the best thing you can do right now is to give him emotional support. When my mom was sick, our doctor advised my dad to focus on her emotional well-being, explaining that mental health is closely linked to physical recovery. If she stayed positive, it would help her body respond better to the treatment and improve her condition.

After a few days of this approach, we stopped looking at her with sadness or pity. Instead, we acted normally and continued with our routines as if everything was fine. Surprisingly, this made a huge difference. She began to recover, and the whole experience transformed her outlook on life.

PetiteSouris August 12th

@Afb2007

Positive thoughts and prayers for your dad. 

I feel being postive, filling the air with positive energy and thinking may help in healing. 

Remember that we are here for you: there are listeners available to you. 

I feel that your dad would want for you to look after your well being too. 

hi.gif