Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trigger Warning

enigmaticButterfly7384 June 2nd, 2021

hi everyone. i’ve been with my gf for over a year and she’s been through so much grief with the loss of her dad. i have been supporting her through this as best i can, but i think she has pmdd and every month she gets severely *depressed* and i know it’s so scary for her. it makes my anxiety skyrocket to the point where i can’t function because she loves twelve hours away and i cant go help her if she’s hurt. does anyone else deal with being the caregiver or significant other to a *depressed* person? how do you have hope and trust and how does this anxiety go away? anything helps

(edited for content by @peaceloveandpaws)

PeaceLoveandPaws June 2nd, 2021

@enigmaticButterfly7384

I am sorry to hear your girlfriend experiences such deep depression associated with PMDD. Is this something she has spoken with her docotr about? If not, you can encourage her to seek treatment from her doctor. It's so difficult to see someone you love in pain, both physically and mentally. I understand your anxiety as it is such a helpless feeling to know you can not ease their pain for them. I can imagine it makes things more difficult because of the physical didtance betewwn you. I'm not sure what can be done to completely relieve your anxiety but it may help you to know she has support. Are there support groups (online or in person) for those who suffer from PMDD? Does she have friends and loved ones she can turn to for support? It sounds like you have done all you can to support her through the difficult times too and I think she likely appreciates your efforts. What support do you have with your anxiety? Are there people you can talk with, to support you? Is treatment for you anxiety with mental health professionals an option for you? Thank you for sharing your story with us and for coming here to seek support, too.