Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Need professional help but don’t know how to tell parents.

Fakekiwi003 July 7th, 2021

Hi. I’m in my teen years, 15 to be exact. I have been miserable for almost two years now and have done some things which are not good for me. I’ve been on the brink of giving up many times. And now I think I need some professional guidance. But I'm really scared to tell my parents and how would they react. I've been distant from my family for the past few months and don't have the best relationship with either. I get sick a lot so they constantly spend money on my tests and appointments and stuff. Plus I already feel like a burden to them. Also, I think we have a few financial issues but they refuse to tell me. So I don't want them to pay for my therapy too, especially since I'm still, you know, alive I guess have handled the situation till now. But I don't know. So yeah. If y'all have any way I can tell them or control it by myself or have a type of therapy without them knowing... Please tell me. Thank you ~Kiwi

EvaBrizola July 7th, 2021

Hello beautiful Kiwi! First of all thank you for sharing your story, you are very strong for sharing with us, I appreciate it. I would say my friend that mental health is the #1 thing in our lives in this modern society with so many things going on, requirements, hustles. Whatever is going on with you is not your problem, we are social beings who are affected by what’s happening. And your parents value you 100%, they wouldn’t want you be unhappy, as much as a stranger like me doesn’t want you to be unhappy and empathises with you! You may feel like you don’t want to be a burden, but ... If you were a loving and caring parent, if you had a kid who struggled for its reasons how would you feel if they never let you know and something bad happened? I hope that gives you an answer, because you have the answers already in you. Finally, as a listener and a psychology student i’d be more than happy to talk with you, you can vent with me or whatsoever! Peace and love ❤️❤️❤️

Fakekiwi003 OP July 7th, 2021

Okay. Thank you a lot! I’ll be in touch with you.

NickJVos July 7th, 2021

This may be a temporary solution, but have you talked to your school's counselor? If you explain this exact situation to them, they may be able to help you find a program that fits. If it isn't an emergency, you may also want to consider picking up a part-time job before you ask your parents. It will show them you are ready to help and that you are serious about getting better. Hope that helps!

Fakekiwi003 OP July 7th, 2021

I was not able to contact them. But I’ll try again. Thank you!