Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mother in-law

bestEast2648 June 14th, 2021

I have know my MIL all my life. I have been married now 35 years. She has been so rude to me over the years. I have learned tried hard to let it go. She has even gone to my Daughter in-laws classrooms to help out. They are teachers. It is ALWAYS something she is doing. She is taking lunch (homemade meal) to our Son who is 28 years old so she can see his new apartment. God helps me through this ongoing difficult time.

PeaceLoveandPaws June 14th, 2021

@bestEast2648

I'm sorry to hear you are having ongoing troubles with your mother in law and that it has escalated recently. Has something happened recently that has made her intrusions more difficult for you? You've mentioned the issues with her have been going on for a long time. Which boundary of yours does she cross most often? What has happened when you've mentioned your discomfort in the past?

June 15th, 2021

@bestEast2648 How does it make you feel when she does all that, how would you like her to be for you to feel better?

bestEast2648 OP June 15th, 2021

To Peace & Paws. Thanks for your reply. Nothing has happened recently that makes her intrusions more difficult for me. It has gone on my whole life. Even when she was a Youth Counselor and I was in the Youth Group. Getting VERY old. She does not have many boundaries. When I mentioned my discomfort in the past she stares at me and does not reply. She is a retired first born Psychiatric Nurse. Do I say more? Sorry if you are a firstborn but that birth order has and is a challenge for me. I pray for your sake you have a loving MIL. It does amaze me though if you would take 10 married women usually only 2 out of the 10 say they love and get along with their Mother in-law. I have 4 Sons so I am determined to do my part to make this MIL/DIL relationship work BUT I am the one who works the hardest and has to give the most to make it happen and that is okay because I WILL NOT put my DIL’s through what I have and am going through now. I have 2 DIL’s and I have learned A LOT from my experience with MIL. God bless you.

bestEast2648 OP June 15th, 2021

To @Fristo: It makes me feel like my feelings are never even considered because they aren’t. I would like her to treat me like I do my 2 DIL’s. I treat them with respect and constantly watch what I say, not say, do and not do. I give them love and honor them. I have 4 Sons and 2 DIL’s. It is sad that she has put me and my husband through so many hardships. Thanks for replying and listening.