Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family politics

Sunny0611 April 22nd, 2021

What do you do when you don’t agree with your partners family’s beliefs. I’m not talking religious beliefs. But opinions on race, class and politics. I live with my partners brother and cousin. So family are always around. I struggle to bite my tongue when I hear derogatory things. My partner is an introvert and prefers not to get involved. I want to keep the peace but let know I don’t find it acceptable?

peacefulIris56 April 22nd, 2021

I understand where you are coming from. With some people, their whole lives is about politics. And people that are really into politics hard usually have strong views that will not change through discussion. I know how hard it is for you to have to listen to all of their opinions on race, class and politics. It gets very overwhelming. I understand that you want to keep the peace but you are not quite sure how to go about it. Conflict is something that makes you feel uncomfortable. By confronting them and telling them how you feel and by expressing to them that you do not want to discuss or listen to those things, you may be able to keep and maintain your own peace. It all depends on how much they are going to be willing to respect your boundaries.